PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Surprise Surprise

alfdawg
02-15-2005, 01:59 PM
I went home for work for lunch. I had a buddie meet me there ,I was doing some work on my computer for him. I was back in my computer room when he yelled out "You have baby fish in your tank". Of course I told him he was crossed eyed and didn't know what he was talking about. He informed me, with a few choose words, I was wrong. I went to look and my Con's had what appeared to be 100 or so babies. :dance: :party:

The female is only about an inch long. I figured I had a little while before they would have them as they are still small. I have been cycling a 50g for them and it will/should be ready this weekend. I just didn't make it. I have them in right now with my GT's and jewels. It's going to be a lot of fun i can already see. :lol:

Heyguy74
02-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Congrats,
Keep the babies in with the other fish. Before you know it you'll be up to your ears in convicts. This is just the beginning. Theywill ge a good source of live food.

alfdawg
02-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Couple of pics. The babies are so small that my camera(junk) doesn't pic them up. They are just specks. They are already swimming. How long after they hatch does it take for them to do this? I never saw anything before today. They look like REAL small tadpoles. So cool.

alfdawg
02-15-2005, 05:29 PM
daddy running me off

alfdawg
02-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Another

Heyguy74
02-16-2005, 09:34 AM
Usually a couple of days after hatching they become free swimming. They have no more yellow yolk sack left. They will probably start feeding on the bio cover on the rocks and plants. It takes my babies a week or two before they will accept crushed flake food. You can try newly hatched brine shrimp.

alfdawg
02-16-2005, 10:55 AM
thanks. I got up this am and didn't see a one. I'm hoping mom and dad moved them under the rocks during the night and they have not come out yet. I will see at lunch. This is the first batch and I hope the parents didn't eat them.

cich1
02-16-2005, 11:26 AM
the parents probably moved the fry,mine did that a few times and i thought they had eaten them but then they turned up a day later.

alfdawg
02-16-2005, 12:30 PM
still have babies. They are swimming every where the parents will let em

cich1
02-20-2005, 07:27 PM
so what are you gonna do with all them babies?:)

alfdawg
02-21-2005, 03:04 PM
I have a few buddies that are interested in them. :)