I will be moving and the tank will be down for about 2 months

Questions

1. FLUVAL 404...should I leave the water and media in it

2. SUBSTRATE...should I leave it in water

Thanks

Dave

punkypuffer
02-14-2005, 10:20 PM
if it's down for 2 months with no fish and no circulation the bacteria will die. i would just clean it real well and start over when the tank is re set up

OwassoFish
02-14-2005, 10:58 PM
Agreed. Unless you continue the cycle artificially with ammonia like you would with a fishless cycle. But that would mean you would need to keep the fluval running. I'd start over at your new place.

z rock
02-14-2005, 11:00 PM
If your gonna be down that long it will be starting all over again. Substrate will become toxic.

I will be facing the same fate soon. Going to be moving. I'm hoping to get it done in one day "IF" everything works out.

I ask the guy at the LFS if he would baby sit my fish if I provided a tank. I planned on using a 110g wooden pond with a Pondmaster filter till I got my 125 set back up. he had room for the pond.

He told me to bring the substrate and all the water from the tank I could carry. Toss it in the pond thing, add fish, top off, and it wouldn't skip a beat.

You might ask your local store what they might charge for such a service. They might have room in the back. It's a bummer having to move a tank twice though.

cich1
02-14-2005, 11:51 PM
yeah i agree that you should just break everything down and clean it really well then start over completely when you are ready to set it up again.

zrocks suggestion is a good option too if you can find an lfs willing to do that.or maybe a friend that would enjoy having a fish tank for a couple months.