PDA

View Full Version : Go to the Rock store!

Overawed
02-04-2003, 01:34 PM
I don't know about you guys, but here in FLA we have rock stores that sell crap tons of Lace rock and other nice rocks for a fraction of what LFS sell them for.

The only problem I have with Lace is that it is sharp and non-smooth. Be careful when picking a piece for your tank.

Adam
02-04-2003, 05:32 PM
A rock store? Like a store for only aquarium rocks, or is it rocks for the garden and whatnot? I've never heard of a store that only sells rocks, I don't buy my stones though, I find them in my neighbor's yard, they have thousands of smooth rocks, long story...

matt1066
02-04-2003, 05:48 PM
The rock stores are actually for landscaping-try to look in the yellow pages under landscape.

That's one thing FL has a lot of , rock stores.

Matt

jonah
02-04-2003, 06:46 PM
We've got landscape supply yards in Oklahoma. Texas Holey Rock for about 10 cents a pound. 8)

merlyn2221
02-04-2003, 07:18 PM
Jonah, got any pics of Texas Holey Rock. Pics online are really hard to make out details. I want to see it up close.

Adam
02-05-2003, 06:33 PM
Oh, thats what it is, i found lots on the beach in california, although it tends to break easily, I don't use it, but it looks nice...hmm, maybe that big pile of it outside will be used one of these days...

jonah
02-05-2003, 07:03 PM
Oh, thats what it is, i found lots on the beach in california, although it tends to break easily, I don't use it, but it looks nice...hmm, maybe that big pile of it outside will be used one of these days...

It wasn't Texas Holey Rock on that beach. THR is heavy, dense limestone. You'd need a sledgehammer to break it up.

Mbuniac
02-06-2003, 09:47 PM
I did a google search on lace rock and found a place in Fillmore, UT. So on my way back to CA from Idaho I stopped in. The guy at the rock yard told me that most lace rock comes from the southeast Nevada/southwest Utah area. They had pieces there bigger than my 125 tank, stand and canopy combined. Picked up several mediun and small pieces and one big piece 36"X24"x12". It looks huge, but it only weighs about 15 lbs. It's completely hollow and has holes in it that the fish swim in and out of. He charged me $1.00/lb. I think its 4 or 5 dollars/lb at our IFS.

WorldNation
02-07-2003, 01:06 AM
hmm, i need more rocks for my tank sinnce i upgraded to a 100 gal. i'll check out my local supplyer.

zman99
09-17-2003, 12:15 PM
I buy all my stone from a rockyard. I thought lace rock floats though?

Mbuniac
09-18-2003, 03:30 PM
Yeah, it floats about as well as the Titanic. :D The weight of the rock is somewhat dependent upon how many holes/caves/etc. it has in it. A solid piece is fairly dense. I breaks fairly easily, but I was able to take an awl and enlarge or round out several openings. Just be careful and do small chips at a time. I have since gotten rid of all my lace rock, and changed to river rock. I heard too many stories about fish running into it and injuring themselves, even tho I had never had that problem. I stacked it on some towels next to the tank to dry out while I was putting the river rock in. I kicked a piece barefoot coming into the room and it took the meat off the end of my toes. :rolleyes: You would think by this time I would have learned to look where I'm going, or go where I'm looking!!!

DevilDude
11-13-2003, 10:38 AM
yeah i live near a quarry (seveal actually) so thats where my rock's coming from. i would like a peice of texas holy rock to act as a hiding spot for juvies and fry though.