PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Canister Filter

ebnash
02-03-2003, 10:20 PM
I am fairly new to this hobby and was wondering if anyone could give some advice on the proper way to clean my canister filter and how often. I have a 55 gallon tank and an Eheim 2213 canister filter. I have been told to use aquarium water to clean media but am not sure the exact method. Do I need to remove media from basket and scrub it or just pour some water through it? Also thinking of upgrading to larger filter, maybe Eheim 2126 or 2128. Anyone have any input on those filters. Thanks for any help.

ebnash
02-04-2003, 11:52 AM
Anything? Anything? Hello, Mcfly!

Overawed
02-04-2003, 12:12 PM
I know nothing, but those are nice filters, wish I had one, I have a magnum and it causes me pain everyday

matt1066
02-04-2003, 03:01 PM
I have a 2215, 10yrs still going. How do you have it packed?

Is the 2213 the only filter?

I have mine set-up with the small ceramic tubes, followed by Efhigrob(Looks like a green scrub pad) that is my prefilter. Then I have a layer of blue bonded filter pad, followed by Chemipure, then another layer of filter pad.

My 2215 is not my only filter though, so when I clean it I rinse the ceramic noodles, and green stuff unfer the tap. I then replace the Chemipure and add new filter pad and then viola!

Personally, I dont think the tap water wipes out all the beneficial bacteria only some, and then grows back very quickly.

Need to know a little more on your set-up :)

Matt

fOx
02-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Didn't the setup come with a manual?

As already noted, I wouldn't worry about using the aquarium water. It will only make a mess of your floor trying to scoop it up and move it.

ebnash
02-04-2003, 05:55 PM
I have it set up with noodles in the bottom, followed by course filter pad, biological substrate, and then fine filter pad. In the past I have removed all of the media(seperatelyof course) into a large bowl with tank water and agitated it with hands. The filter media I would just rinse under tap. The problem is when I do a thorough cleaning like that, my nitrites go through the roof, so I end up having to purchase live bacteria to put back in tank. It did come with manual, but eheim manuals kind of suck. They tell you how to hook it up and give you a break down of the parts in 20 different languages and thats it. That is my only filteration in the tank, thats why I want to go bigger. Don't want to fool around with hang on crap on the back of the tank. Thanks for your input.

matt1066
02-04-2003, 06:10 PM
IMHO, even if you go to a bigger cannister, you might want to add another filter so you don't get those nitrite spikes again. Just a thought.

Matt

ebnash
02-05-2003, 11:32 AM
I would like to add a second filtration source but not sure what to use. I would be open to any suggestions, but I would like to stay away from anything that hangs on to the back of the tank. Any suggestions.

matt1066
02-05-2003, 12:30 PM
I know your set against any OPF, but I have found that the right ones work very well. I use a Supreme Superking 600 g/h and it is very easy to clean.

This flow rate coupled with a cannister, to me is a great synergistic combo.
A filter that is easy to clean, will be cleaned more often, I think you can identify with that. :lol:

Also if you alternate the changing of filter media you will eliminate those nasty nitrite spikes. Using this method I have never encounterd the latter.
It will also extend the amount of time you change the cannister. I clean and re-pack my 2215 @every 2-3months.

Another filter that works well are the Aquaclear's although I prefer the Supreme.

Hope this helps.

Matt :)

ebnash
02-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the input. I gave in and bought a hang on filter. I am very happy with the results. Since it is only being used a redundant filter I bought an emperor 280 and my tank water is sparling clean now. Even the slight green tint my water used to have went away. I chose this filter because it comes with an extra media basket that I can put some crushed coral in for extra ph buffering. Thanks for all of the help guys.

matt1066
02-09-2003, 07:27 PM
ebnash,

Glad your happy.

I'm in shock, just found out Supreme "Danner mftg"stopped making the Superking!

:shock:

SGypsyMermaid
02-09-2003, 07:43 PM
I am fairly new to this hobby and was wondering if anyone could give some advice on the proper way to clean my canister filter and how often. I have a 55 gallon tank and an Eheim 2213 canister filter. I have been told to use aquarium water to clean media but am not sure the exact method. Do I need to remove media from basket and scrub it or just pour some water through it? Also thinking of upgrading to larger filter, maybe Eheim 2126 or 2128. Anyone have any input on those filters. Thanks for any help.

i would just rinse it to get any debris off of it. how often depends on your stocking levels, size of tank, feeding schedule, other filtration, etc.