PDA

View Full Version : 29g Tankmates for Cons

benneb07
01-31-2005, 05:33 PM
I'm gunna be getting 1 or 2 Cons for a 29 gallon, are there any other mid-upper tank fish I could keep with them? I was thinking Tiger Barbs, if that's a good idea how many could I keep without overcrowding?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the tank isn't cycled, and I have a Whisper 300gph filter. ( Emperor 280 broke down :( )

agez
01-31-2005, 11:26 PM
well i would wait 3 weeks minimum AFTER adding fish waste or dirty gravel from any other tanks you have and feeding the tank as if you had fish in it even though you dont ONCE only. after that period and the tank has cycled the wate and food through the water will be biologically tough enough for you little cons! as a side note: if you can get your hands on honduran/hondorus red points instead get them! they are very similar to cons, just AMAZINGLY colored blue, green, yellow and reds! i would add 1-2 cons/hrp's maximum and your barbs should be fine too, maybe 3 of them, they do grow! and you could put a bristlenose in to clean up. good luck!

Vip
02-01-2005, 07:11 AM
2 cons and a jewel would work nice, there just as agressive and can take them on, if your after some dither fish maybe 6 barbs might be the go.

benneb07
02-01-2005, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the help, guys. I'll check about the Honduran Red Points, but my LFS tends to have a limited selection.

fish speaker
02-04-2005, 10:05 PM
Like Agez said, if you can get Honduran Red Points, don't hesitate! They are much less violent than cons, and the colors really are spectacular. They seem to be just as easy to breed, as well. :edance:

benneb07
02-05-2005, 04:20 PM
Well, as I suspected, the LFS didn't have any HRP's, so I've got 4 Convicts, each of them somewhere around 2", in the 29.( And yes, I know a 29 can't hold 4 cons for long.) They're very fun fish to watch, and not shy at all. They make up for their lack of super bright, flashy colors with a cool personality. I kinda think they might be more popular with cichlid hobbyists if they didn't breed like rabbits.