PDA

View Full Version : ammonia level

vjayshutterbug
01-30-2005, 10:40 PM
I have a 30 gallon tank (36 inches) with five yellow electrics. The tank has been up and going for about six weeks now with two filters totalling 350 gph. I have been doing nightly water tests and 33% water changes every four days. The nitrite level has been 0 for at least the past week, but the ammonia level seems to hover around .25 ppm. I am careful on feeding the fish, and I do the water changes. The fish seem healthy, happy, anc very active. Should I be concerned with .25ppm?
Thanks for any advice.

OwassoFish
01-30-2005, 10:59 PM
Yes, ammonia should be zero. Did your nitrites ever spike? You might also want to check your water out of your tap for ammonia. If you are using a tap water conditioner that also removes ammonia, that would turn ammonia into ammonium and that takes longer for the bacteria to breakdown than ammonia.

vjayshutterbug
01-30-2005, 11:11 PM
No, the nitrites were never that high. I think around .05ppm a while back. I never really experienced any drastic spikes with either nitrite or ammonia.
And the only water conditioner I use is the chlorine remover.
But, I did use amquel once early on when the ammonia level was fairly high. Is that making it hard to get it down to 0?

OwassoFish
01-31-2005, 08:21 AM
It sounds like your tank hasn't cycled yet, but in 6 weeks your ammonia should have spiked by now and been to zero. What are the two types of filters you have running? I don't think the amquel is at fault here. It sounds like something might be off with your filtration. How about the ammonia out of your tap? Is it zero? Search the site for "nitrogen cycle" or just "cycle". There's a lot to read out there. Your tank wont be cycled until ammonia spikes and goes to zero and then nitrite spikes and goes to zero. Your water changes will slow the process, but I see the necessity of doing that to save the yellow labs in there already. Check out my web site and take a look at the cycle information for my tank. I did a fishless cycle so it will be different from yours but you can still see the process of the nitrogen cycle in action.

z rock
01-31-2005, 08:45 AM
Your probably working so hard tring to do the right thing your cleaning to well. I'd cut back on the water changes to about 25% one time a week or 50% every two weeks. Don't clean filters but once a month, if that.

vjayshutterbug
01-31-2005, 11:31 AM
alright....will take all your suggestions! Thanks to everyone!
Hey, just checked the ammonia level this morning and it is at 0! Maybe things are looking up.
Thanks again to all!