PDA

View Full Version : Newbie cichlid / cascade filter question

rogerb
01-30-2005, 07:18 AM
Hi, I recently purchased a 75 gal. set up (used / localy) with 13 large cichlids. The only thing I upgraded was I purchased a pen plax cascade 1000 canister filter. I currently have is running with the stock media that came with it , from bottom up that is coarse sponge pad to bag of carbon to floss pads. I want to use the ceramic rings and zeolite. Cascade does not give any examples on how to stack this, I know I start with the rings, then the zeolite, then the floss. But do i use the coarse black sponge pad any more, if so where (I know I stop using the carbon) Also from what I have been reading here I should just rinse out the old floss and reuse it as it contains beneficial bacteria , correct ? Finaly how often should the ceramic rings and zeolite be replaced with new product ? Thanks folks.

Heyguy74
02-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Welcome rogerb,
You really can't rinse out filter floss. If they are a type of pad then you should be able to rinse them. The ceramic media will never have to be replaced. This is for your bacteria to live on. The zeolite can be replaced every so often. This will also act as a place for you bacteria to live on. Carbon isn't really necessary. It polishes the water. The problem with carbon is it last only a month or so. Get yourself a media bag and you can put any media you want into your filter. Use your tank water to wash the media, never use tap water it will kill your bacteria.

Heyguy74
02-01-2005, 11:32 AM
BTW,
Did you keep the original filter that can with the tank? If you did I get that running as well. Good Luck

rogerb
02-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks, great point about the tank water to rinse the media, I was told to use gravel and save the zeolite in case I have a problem. So I am planing on loading the canister in this order, rings, coarse pad, gravel, and fine pads. does that sound about right ? Or should i add just a little zeolite to the gravel ?
Thanks

Heyguy74
02-01-2005, 12:29 PM
No need to put gravel in your filter. Just put more ceramic rings in there. Id make sure the rings are between your filter pads. Other wise yor rings will clog up. The pads will stop the larger debris from getting to your rings.This way the pads can be removed and the ceramic rings left alone.