PDA

View Full Version : Green algae removal help please

punman
01-28-2005, 11:17 PM
My 90 gallon has been going for 8 months now. Algae on front and sides of tank are difficult to remove. I don't care about the back. I have a pleco that keeps all rocks clean but not the glass. In my 45 gallon I have the same size bristlenose pleco and no algae on the glass.
Is one pleco not enough for a 90? Anything better than hand held razor blade scrapers? Those magnet things any good? Other ideas?

punkypuffer
01-28-2005, 11:29 PM
the magnet scrapers work great for me! just make sure to not get any sand or gravel between it and the glass or it will scratch it, but it's never happened to me....

barristan
02-05-2005, 03:20 PM
yeah, use the magnet scrapper, just be sure to get one big enough for your glass thickness.

I wouldn't get another pleco, they crap too much and get too big.

z rock
02-06-2005, 09:29 AM
The bristle nose and rubber nose plecs both stay around 4" and do good work. I highly recommend one of each.

I've been told that once the tank gets broke in and the bacteria get growing well the algae will subside. I tend to belive this theory to a certain degree.

I used to experiment with changing out substrates and taking the rocks out and cleaning algae off them, and hot rodding my filters and stuff. Now that I don't do much more than rinse the filter pads and do a water change every week or two there is hardly a trace of algae.

I did notice 98% of the algae stopped appearing shortly after adding the plecs. That last 2% is on the glass. I use it as a guage on when water changes are needed. When the algae is growing and the front glass starts looking nasty it means there is an abundance of nutrients.

I like the Kent razors myself.