PDA

View Full Version : lighthing question...

shindrome
01-20-2005, 10:09 PM
i just realized that i could've made my post here instead of the african cichlid section. apologies for the repost...

"hi, i'm a newbie to this site and there's a lot of great info here! anyhow, i have a question regarding lighting. the bulbs that i got with my 30 inch light strip gives off a purplish tint that is starting to bother me. i went to my local fish shop and noticed some higher priced bulbs. i was thinking about the Coralife Spectramax Super Daylight Bulb and the ones that are actinic blue. does anyone have any opinions on these or have any other recommendations? i'm rather new to this hobby and i'm having some trouble finding some good websites that sell aquarium equipment. can anyone help? anyone know of some good sites? any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!"

agez
01-20-2005, 10:14 PM
firstly welcome, and as to your query; actinic and coral grow or coral life products in general are designed for MARINE aquariums. actinic light alone apears blue like 'moonlight/dusk' and extreamly dim, the others are far too bright for river dwelling fish. i would recomend a regular aquarium reflector globe, NOT the expensive coral grows....unless you have coral? just go for a 'white light' ask your store to turn a few of the cheap to mid range 'freshwater' style globes on for you over the same clearwater tank until you find one you like...then buy it! by the by what kinda fish you keeping, africans i presume?

shindrome
01-20-2005, 10:29 PM
yes! thanks for the quick reply! i have african cichlids, Tanganyika to be exact and thanks for the welcome. i'm pretty new to this whole thing so i'm not too familiar with fish names. i really love my guys though. these fish have one hell of a personality! by the way, would you know of any other fish that would possibly get along with these guys? the guy at my local store believes otherwise. however, i'm curious to know what people's experiences are.

so what would a midrange brand of light be? i really don't know much about what's out there, i'm trying to learn as i go....:confused:

agez
01-20-2005, 10:47 PM
just go in the store and get the regular generic light to fit your reflector....as for mixing fish, not only would i not do it- but you just wont have the room! you have alot of fish for a tank that size- they will grow!

Heyguy74
01-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Alot of people keep 50/50 lights for their african tanks. I know they are marine bulbs but it does bring out the colors of the africans. Go with waht you like and can afford.

skiitswitch
01-21-2005, 10:51 AM
I use a blue actinic bulb with a regular one on my mbuna tank and it makes their colors GLOW! It's pretty much personal pref IMO

punman
01-21-2005, 10:41 PM
i just bought a Zoo Med Ocean Sun 10000 K. It is nice and bright with great color. The 50/50 bulb is nice but not quite as bright. Good if the tank is not so deep or with an extra bulb.

shindrome
01-22-2005, 02:05 AM
i checked out my local fish shop today and found coralife 50/50's (24 inch) for 27 bucks and a 10,000K for 24. i think this combo looks pretty nice when i saw it in the store. do you guys think the price is steep? it kinda does to me, but again what do i know...

will upgrading to brighter lights cause a big surge in algae?

Glaive
01-22-2005, 03:32 AM
The 10k seems about what a lfs would charge, they go for 19 at big als

the 50/50 seems over priced, big als has it for 14

lights link (http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/category.xml?category_id=1849;ppp=16;page=2;sort=; pcid1=1843;pcid2=;breadcrumb=)
the 10k is on that page and hitting the next page will get you the 50/50

cblue0426
01-22-2005, 07:09 AM
yea, go to big als online. Its relly cheap there and you can buy those bulbs there for under $15 each. And shipping will only be $6 for that order. www.bigalsonline.com

shindrome
01-22-2005, 05:56 PM
thanks for the great info. they're having a sale on 50/50 24 inch bulbs. very very nice.

would 20,000k bulbs be too much for my 20 gallon tank?

punman
01-23-2005, 12:50 AM
It's not so much the 'K" number that matters for tank size, it is the watts. You don't need 60 Watts on a 20 gallon tank. The "K" will affect the color, i believe, not the heat.

Glaive
01-23-2005, 01:11 AM
Go it right there punman teh K is in refrence to wave length of light

chc
01-23-2005, 10:35 AM
As for the algae question, the higher the Kelvin rating, the less suited the bulb is for plant (or algae) growth. Something in the 5,000K to 6,700K is good for plants. The 10,000K and above get progressively bluer.

agez
01-23-2005, 06:14 PM
hope you got plecos! for the green red or black algea you might get, i wonder with marine lights on a fresh tank would oyu get the green or red? strike that dont get plecos! i didnt realise you had a 20gal tank! try a bristlenose, they stay pretty small.

djfungus
01-28-2005, 12:38 PM
I have both, a 4 ft. actinic and a 4 ft white in my freshwater tank. It looks great, but its just my preference. I had a double light fixture just sitting in my basement, thats why I put 2 lights in my tank. As far as the algea goes, I've only had this brownish looking algae start to grow, maybe its actually red, im not sure. No green yet though.