PDA

View Full Version : Test Kit

gonefishin
01-20-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm currently using the quick dip strips for all my water tests. I've read that these strips aren't the best for testing. I'm going to be putting in an order at bigal's here pretty quick and was wondering what test kits you guys use...what should I get?

Glaive
01-20-2005, 12:56 PM
I have no kit prefrence brand wise.
I would say go to a drop test.

Make sure it has tests for the following:
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
pH, low and high or just a good range
Gh >> general hardness
Kh >> calcium hardness

Those are the big ones for an aquarium housing fish. If you have planted tanks and want to monitor thier params I'm not too sure lol.

OwassoFish
01-20-2005, 01:05 PM
I use the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Kit. It's a drop test kit. I too, have heard the drop test kits are more accurate than the quick dip strips.

Glaive
01-20-2005, 01:33 PM
Just from my memory of college chemistry, I had way too much, when you are doing a drop test you are doing titrations. When you control the circumstances it is hard to beat the accuracy of a titration.

Personally I have never owned the strips but I remember using litmus paper and it was only able to discern acid vs base where as a titration typically have me my pH to to the nearest hundredth. The kits usually measure to the tenth.

I would also wonder about the 5 in one strips I imagine that they must have issues with the reagents running in the paper...