PDA

View Full Version : swiveling powerheads

fish speaker
01-19-2005, 12:37 PM
I have a couple Powersweep powerheads in my 180-gallon tank. The output swivels to produce "waves"...at least in theory. Mine are basically immobile right now, and they've only been in action for about a month. Prime suspect is algae. I guess I'll have to take them apart and clean, but I wanted to see if anybody else has used these, and if you've had any better luck.
:dead:

Thanks,
David

Glaive
01-19-2005, 02:12 PM
I still to my one power head, but it's an AC402 in a 20 gal. My fish seem to get in a snit when I change thier current around.

I also have a fluval 2+ and a 204 cannister adding to teh current, it currently causes a clock wise current in teh tank and none of teh fish seem to care about the high flow rate, even the juli fry.

The 2+ and the 402 are top water level, the 204 is on the bottom and aimed at its own intake across the back of the tank.

RedParrotBubbles85
01-19-2005, 05:56 PM
the powersweeps are not too good with their sweeping motion. many salt water people use them and they stop sweeping in about a month. but if you clean it out really good and make sure that you maintain it it should keep sweeping.

chc
01-19-2005, 06:14 PM
That's my experience too, about a month. Generally they can be cleaned and returned to good performance, but after a while the gears on mine wore out.

A better, but more expensive, way to do a similar job is to get a "sea swirl" attachment for the return of a canister or sump pump.

z rock
01-21-2005, 08:04 PM
I have a couple of those Zoo Med Power Sweep power heads. If the slightest grain of sand or coral gets in there they stop swiveling. Mine are still like new out in the scrap pile.

Sometimes you can thump on em and knock the sand out. Most of the time they have to be taken apart, which is not all that hard but something I don't care to have to deal with.

I don't like the big thick cord they have on em either. They have no clamp to hang on the tank rim. Have to use suction cups. I like Aquaclears, Maxi-jets, or Marinelands.