PDA

View Full Version : island 125 tempered?

ralph
01-18-2005, 07:28 PM
i posted recently about plumbing my tank. the sticker on the bottom says do not drill. my 55s had the same sticker and i drilled the back no probs. the walmart tank exploded. sometimes these stickers are refering to the bottom only. how can i tell.
thanks

cblue0426
01-21-2005, 08:32 PM
u know those things in spy movies where they cut a perfect circle in the window to break in, well maybe u can find one of those. I would just call the company to find get some more info on the glass and then be VERY careful in cutting it. Or you might beable to find a person that specializes in glass like a custom mirror and glass guy. You might even e able to get one of the tools they use to cut glass/mirrors.

ralph
01-21-2005, 11:16 PM
goter done. but thanks for the suggestions. i guess island is no more. but then one of the lfs managers was telling me they're "island rep" was just in. go figure.

Glaive
01-21-2005, 11:21 PM
Never ever ever use a standard glass cutter on a fish tank.... some tanks are tempered glass and thick, those glass cutters are made for very thin normal glass maybe a 1/4 inch. You will in all likely hood end up with a lot of small pieces of glass.

A glass cutter scores teh glass so you can break it along the score tempered glass doesn't take well to being broken and will tend to explode under force...

Sorry to chastise cblue0426 but the movies are not a good source of information.

z rock
01-22-2005, 07:13 PM
From what I have read most tanks 55g and above are tempered on the bottom. It would be a very expensive tank if it were solid tempered glass.

You have to use a glass hole grinder (diamond cutter) to cut a hole hole in glass.

Tempered glass could and probably would shatter but you would have to contact the manufacture to know for sure. More than likely it's just the bottom thats tempered.

There are some sites you can look up to order grinding heads.
http://www.inlandcraft.com/Uguides/UGbits.htm

ralph
01-23-2005, 07:18 PM
like i said, gottrdone. plumbed, the whole magoo. running as we speak. need another bag of moonsand though. @20 a bag i was hoping 4 would get it. heaters tomorrow. gonna have to figure out my sump as well. the one under my wall rack is very simple;
armymen and sponges. dont laugh, it cycled.

Glaive
01-23-2005, 07:40 PM
Hey man army men provide flow and surface area, that's really all you need

z rock
01-25-2005, 10:18 PM
This got me wondering; does the James Bond glass cutter method actually work? All I've heard people use on aquariums to cut a round hole is a diamond bit.

I've seen big round mirrors but I imagine the area outside the scored circle would have to be destroyed to make them.

Glaive
01-25-2005, 10:49 PM
Those are pretty much fake Z, I'm sure you've used a traditional etching glass cutter, same priciple except in the movies the etcher magically goes all teh way through lol

z rock
01-25-2005, 11:05 PM
The one time I tried cutting glass even doing a straight line it shattered!:lol:

Glaive
01-25-2005, 11:33 PM
the reason I was so adamant about not trying that method with tank glass is I've had tempered and not temped explode on me, took a few hours to get the shards out of my arms lol