PDA

View Full Version : Help, my tank is a deathtrap!



MNCichlid
01-17-2005, 08:10 AM
I wrote earlier about this where I got advice to add more filtration, which I did. I now have 2 Aquaclear 500's in my 75 gallon. I also don't wash the sponge in tap water anymore.

Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrates low

I do at least 20 gallon water changes per week. It consists of 50/50 tap to RO water. Now, I make sure I mix them up in a 5 gallon bucket at a time so the colder RO water is not a shock

I left home on Sat afternoon and came back on Sunday evening to find the last of my 4 Keyholes dead. I was expecting one of the Kribs to be dead since it has been breathing heavily for a week. The other fish appear fine. The keyhole looked fine when I left, eating good. Upon examination, it looks like it may have had a slightly sunken stomach like the last Keyhole death (that keyhole was grossly sunken)

I am at wits end. I am thinking there is a parasite infection in the whole tank. The gasping Krib has white stringy poop. This may be a spearate question, but is too many bloodworms in a eating session bad? I don't know if that is how the Keyhole dies (bloat?)

The tank will be one year old in April. My 37 gallon African tank has no problems

cichgirl
01-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Sounds like it could be a parasite. Get Pepso food and feed all the fish nothing but that for 3 days. It is very important not to feed them anything else during that time. It will clean out their digestive tracts. If it is a parasite or just a digestive ailment that should do the trick. Good Luck!

jennigypsy
01-17-2005, 09:03 AM
I agree w/ cichgirl...might be hexamita.
Try the pepso food. If they aren't eating well, (or don't like the medicated food...mine don't! ) I soak it in garlic extreme...helps mask the taste of the medicine and the garlic helps with the parasites too :)

MNCichlid
01-17-2005, 09:04 AM
Are there parasites in the water that need cleaning out?

MNCichlid
01-17-2005, 09:12 AM
I called Petsmart and they have medicated food by Jungle. The label says M-type fish food. Is that the same thing? Thanks

MNCichlid
01-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Well, I just bought some Jungle (JF170) Medicated food. Deosn't say Pepso but it says it is for Internal Parasites

agez
01-17-2005, 05:34 PM
raise your tank tempreature to anything above 29.89degrees celcius (the tempreature parasites cant live above) and 2 teaspoons(10ml) non iodised cooking salts to every 2.5gals raise the temp 1.5-2 degrees per day while you feed the medical food. when it reaches 30-31 leave the temp there for at least 5 days, then reduce it back down on the same scale (1-2degrees per day). a couple of days after full treatment cycle do a 30%water change. this will definately solve your problem, i promise. the temp may seem sextream but there will be nop issues as long as you do it gradually- this meathod is natural and requires no medications, i have been using it through my whole fish keeping life and it was explained tought to me by a marine biologist, long time cichlid keeper, and personal friend

chc
01-17-2005, 09:52 PM
It definitely sounds like an internal parasite. Since freshwater fish don't drink water, the best results come from medicated food. Sounds like you're on the right track there.

I doubt you'll have to treat the tank since the parasite's life cycle will end before it finds another host.

In the future, I would be concerned about the source of your fish, and I'd be sure to quarantine any new arrivals (regardless of the source). New Life Spectrum makes a good non-medicated food that's good for quarantine use (no need to pound new fish with meds if you don't have to).

MNCichlid
01-21-2005, 08:38 AM
I am at 86 for a day and a half. I turned up one of the heaters (I added only for this problem) to 88. The other two heaters are maxed out at 86. THe Krib is still breathing heavily. Salt is in there. I have been feeding the medicated food since Mon night. The Krib is not eating. I put some regular flakes in last night. I may put some bloodworms in tonight. For those who care.

punkypuffer
01-21-2005, 12:23 PM
you might try mixing kents garlic extreme in with the food to encourage him to eat it

agez
01-21-2005, 04:24 PM
your doing great, just try not to feed as much, your also feeding the PARASITES!!! so keep em lean but feed once per day-two days. only give the medicated food, and be sure you take punkys advice with the garlicX if they still wont eat. best of luck, i think they'll come through. just make sure that once they look ok, bring down the tempreature GRADUALLY over at least 3-4days minimum.