PDA

View Full Version : How long will Biomax last?

labfan
01-14-2005, 03:30 PM
The vendors say to replace every three months (of course...they want to sell more product)...but I've heard some people leave it in there forever. I see no reason to really change it as long as there aren't major clogs, etc. in it....I think I've had Biomax in my Fluval for about 3 years?!?! :rolleyes: I don't think bacteria really care....

Glaive
01-14-2005, 08:18 PM
before I can answer, is bio max the ceramic rings? If so then you taught me something new and fluval is F.O.S. If one can use a sponge for over a year then ceramic should last way longer IMHO.

labfan
01-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Right, it's the ceramic rings used to promote bacterial growth. I just don't see any reason to remove it. I guess one could say the surface properties of the rings could get smoothed over, and therefore less room for the bacteria to colonize...but that's a stretch.

razey
01-14-2005, 10:22 PM
i have some in my fluval 300 for about 5 years now and still havnt replaced it.

Glaive
01-14-2005, 10:26 PM
considering that they use ceramic to sharpen knives, protect space shuttles, and for lifetime brake pads I'd wonder if it was more to do with them getting clogged up, though I couldn't really see that happening easily if maintained. I am thinking they will out last teh canister lol.

Heyguy74
01-15-2005, 07:48 PM
The ceramic isnt going to break down in water. So as long as you wash them off once in a while, there no reason to ever change them.

labfan
01-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Exactly. I've had mine for 3 years. Added more biomax to my AquaClear filter also, so I have the stuff in both a Fluval and AC. It sure does beat forking over more dough for some resin or other media to remove nitrites or ammonia!

z rock
01-15-2005, 10:29 PM
They should last forever. Just swish the basket out in a bucket full of tank water every now and then so no nasty crud reduces the flow of the filter.

If there is a good prefilter before the noodles they probably won't get dirty very often.