PDA

View Full Version : bacteria

gonefishin
01-13-2005, 11:53 PM
I currently have a Magnum350 canister filter. I'm looking to get something that is for bacteria filtration? Something that will make sure that my bacteria colony is safe, even if I clean the hell outta my gravel/filter/etc. I've also considered adding a fluval 404 becuause I need more filter power, especially when I add some more fish here soon.

jennigypsy
01-14-2005, 12:50 AM
something to try- the powerhead sponge filter...

Heyguy74
01-14-2005, 08:39 AM
If your going to get the fluval filter, why not make that a biological filter. Pack it with bio balls or something similar. Just put a sponge filter over the intake to keep large debris from getting in the filter. You can use your magnum filter for mechanical cleaning.

z rock
01-14-2005, 08:57 AM
If you get some pea - dime sized lava rock you could put it in your media basket on the magnum. I'm using lava rock in a HOT 250 and it's working out rather well.

I put the lava rock in there and cover the whole basket with one of the blue sponge cover things that come with the 250.

When you clean it you just remove the sponge and squeeze it out in tank water and swish the whole basket around in tank water without removing the rock.

I would add a hang-on instead of another canister. Emporer 400's are nice and they have recently re-designed the 330.

gonefishin
01-17-2005, 09:54 PM
Here's what I think I'm going to do...I got a 55g kit for Christmas. It came with a Whisper 60 filter. I'm going to put the whisper 60 in the big tank with teh Magnum350. Order a Fluval 404 and a powerhead with a sponge filter for the 55.

I also have 2 Penquin 1140 powerheads in the 110g. Is there a powerhead filter that I can get for this model?

What do you guys think of this idea?

cich1
01-17-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by gonefishin

I also have 2 Penquin 1140 powerheads in the 110g. Is there a powerhead filter that I can get for this model?

What do you guys think of this idea?

can't you use them with a sponge filter?

here's a link to drs.foster and smith

check this out (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/NavResults.cfm?Ntt=sponge%20filter&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004+22768)

gonefishin
01-18-2005, 08:49 AM
thanks for the link...if I'm understanding this right, I can just buy the replacement sponges on the following link. I don't need the reverse flow kit, just those replacement sponges correct?....

Penguin Sponge (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4635&Ntt=sponge%20filter&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004+22768)

If those sponges are correct, does everyone think the setup I mentioned in my last post would be my best bet? Other ideas?

Thanks

Glaive
01-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Lets see, for starters on the penguin sponges, if they are like any other sponge they rarely need replacement.

As for using a fluval 404 for bio filtration if you are buying it new it will come with the means for bio filtration.

My fluval 204:

Water comes in and passes through sponges and on through the media baskets.

The sponges are a prefilter of sorts and act as first stage of bio filtration.

It came with two trays worth of ceramic rings, more bio filtration, and a carbon bag.

I tossed the carbon bag and put crushed coral in the last basket. It works to buffer the water and as extra bio media.

chc
01-19-2005, 08:52 AM
Have you considered a bio-wheel for the output of the 350?

gonefishin
01-20-2005, 12:02 PM
So i'm looking through the mess of stuff I have in the stand of this tank.(Random stuff that came with it) Low and behold, I find another filter. An Aquaclear 500. How do these work? It appears that you can put whatever sort of media you want in them (sponge, carbon, etc) Am I correct here? If so, then what I'll probably do is get sponges for my 2 powerheads, and sponge or something for this Aquaclear500 and use those tools all as biological filtration. While maintaining the Magnum350 as my mechanical filtration. Then I can keep the whisper 60 and the sponged powerhead in the 55 and add a Fluval 304/404 for mechanical....

How's that sound?

Glaive
01-20-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm not too familiar with teh aquaclear 500 or any hob, but I believe if you could find away to get some thing like small lava rock pieces or something porous it would be a good addition to a sponge. It's always nice to have multiple medias, just as it is nice to have multiple filters.

gonefishin
01-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Here is the link to the filter on Bigals.
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22129;category_id=2969

As you can see, it doesn't come with anything like biobags or what have ya, like a whisper HOB. That whole space on the right of the filter is just open....and you can see all the choices of stuff down below it that BigAl says "you may also be interested in".

The way I figure it, you just put/stuff/cram, whatever it is you want into that right side and let it go from there. If I'm correct in this assumption and I have 2 sponge filters on the Penguin 1140 powerheads, than what media would you guys suggest I put in this Aq.500? Sponge, lava rocks,etc?....

z rock
01-20-2005, 04:14 PM
If choosing between a Aquaclear or the Whisper I would choose the Aquaclear. It would flow more water. Aquaclear has the prefabbed stuff you can buy but you could probably make your own. The sponge that comes with it is what the filter evolves around and what makes them a good choice.

I would want that sponge feature for sure. That would probably be all you would need but you can place one of those media sack things full of carbon on top of the sponge. Petsmart carries all this stuff.

Yea, that Aquaclear 500 foam single is a must have for that filter!

I have heard of people trying to "hot rod" Aquaclears by putting extra filter floss on top of the sponge. If that floss is not porous enough it can become clogged and the Aquaclear will pump water out on the ground till it looses suction. Not a good thing.

Personally I would just use the sponge, It will provide a massive amount of bacteriological surface. The sponge can be squeezed out in a bucket of tank water now and then. Very easy to do maintenance on.

You don't need the reverse flow option. Thats for UGF's.

I use two of the quick filter attachments on my powerheads. They are a good particulate"micron" like polisher filter. The 1140's are supposed to do 300gph! Thats a lot of flow.

z rock
01-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Here's the Aquaclear quick filter attachment I use on my powerheads.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22197;category_id=1723

gonefishin
01-20-2005, 05:17 PM
So you're saying that sponge option in the link of my last post is what I need for the aquaclear? The 3.5"X3.5"x9.75" sponge just lays across the bottom of the filter?

Then, with that Aquaclear powerhead attachment...will it work on my Penguin powerheads? Those provide mechanical filtration or bacterial? Its a polishign system, not a sponge/bacteria system correct? How about if I did one powerhead with that attachment and one powerhead with the sponge attachment?

z rock
01-20-2005, 07:44 PM
The sponge should have come with the filter. You can see the cage or carrier thing it sets in at the Big Al's link. I guess the cage has handles on it so you can pull the sponge out and it lets water circulate underneath the sponge.

The penguin powerhead looks like it has graduated sizes on it for fitting a variety of things. Or you can pop the top out of the quick filter and it reveals a larger hole. Something can always be rigged up in that department.

Anything that has oxygenated water flowing across it will provide bacteriological filtration. The more oxygen the better the bacteria will thrive.

Not many filters provide micron polishing.The quick filter is one and the Mag 350 w/polishing cartridge is the other. The main thing with filtration is to agitate the surface of the water to provide oxygen, then the whole tank effectively becomes a bacteriological filter.

When I had a Mag 350 I used to dread having to climb under the tank to change out the micron cartridge. It would clog up in about three days and slow the flow therefor rendering my bio-wheel 60 useless.

If I still had a Mag 350 I would fill it with lava rock and clean it every other month. I tried sponges in the 350 but the pressure was so strong it seem to disintegrate the sponges over time.

cich1
01-20-2005, 07:49 PM
my H.O.T. magnum also came with a micron filter.it's good for once in awhile polishing.the thing i like about it is i can use it on all my tanks if i wanted to(portable enough to move from tank to tank).

z rock
01-20-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by cich1
my H.O.T. magnum also came with a micron filter.it's good for once in awhile polishing.the thing i like about it is i can use it on all my tanks if i wanted to(portable enough to move from tank to tank).

Yea, I have a HOT 250 also. I forgot about it! It's a hang on canister. Much more convenient than the 350. I don't use the micron cartridges with it much anymore. I filled the cage with lava rock and covered with the sponge sleeve thing.

I always hated that Mag 350 filter though. All those hoses and bio 60 wheels, priming, gaskets, seals and valves. Plus climbing under the tank to get to it. More trouble than it was worth.

z rock
01-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Here's a pic of a Aquaclear 500 sponge cut down to fit in a Mag 350. I don't recommend it. The 350 has so much pressure the sponge would dissolve over 2-3 month's use.

z rock
01-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Here's a pic of a Aquaclear quick filter attached to a penguin 330. The top was puched out so the 330 intake would fit then shimmed up. I don't recomend anytype of a prefilter on a hang-on either, except maybe a sponge for fry tank or something. When it gets dirty it cuts down the designed flow of the filter and reduces oxygen transfer.

z rock
01-20-2005, 08:45 PM
Aquaclear sponge. Massive thing! Good for all types of Diy projects. I had a overflow sump system desined around one but I never did see it through.

You can imagine the amount of bacteria that could live in that thing!

z rock
01-20-2005, 09:02 PM
Hey, cich1 does your 5 star general elongatus live up to it's reputation? I just read they are on the banned list in Australia.

http://www.cichlidforums.com/postimages/2005-01-20/85813-001.jpg

gonefishin
01-20-2005, 09:30 PM
The Aquaclear came used with the tank, and there wasn't a sponge. I just picked one up at the store and will be setting it up shortly.

With my Magnum350, I don't use the micron cartridge. I use the basket with carbon media in it and then the sponge sleeve wrapped around it. I love the thing, until recently, it was my only form of filtration/movement in a 110g malawi tank. Every couple of weeks I just take the sleeve out and rinse the scum off in tank water and swoosh the carbon media around.

The other thing I was wondering, is if that aquaclear powerhead attachment would fit on a penquin powerhead. I haven't taken it out of the water to inspect it yet, so I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the info.