PDA

View Full Version : filter dead

slothshady
01-10-2005, 07:39 PM
hello all.
i recently returned to school from Christmas break. i took all my fish out of my tank and brought them home with me. i left the tank here with my filter (AC 300) on it. there was still water in the filter. is there some way that could have killed my filter? cuz now it wont start pumping water, i can hear it make a very light noise when i plug it in, but nothing happens. is there any way i can fix this without buying another one?? i have $ .60 in my bank account :( im not gonna be able to afford a decent filter for a while.
thanks a lot

OwassoFish
01-10-2005, 09:30 PM
I have that happen occasionally during a water change. It's possible some of the water evaporated while you were gone. Here's a couple of things to try. Turn the filter off. Then add water to the filter until it overflows, then turn your filter back on and see if it starts up. It may just need to be primed.

If that doesn't work, pull it off and clean it. Be sure to remove the impellar and clean it too and reseat it properly. Sometimes the impellar will lock up and not spin properly if it has debris on it or down there where it turns.

The fact that it's making some noise tells me that the motor is probably fine but the impellar isn't rotating at full speed. Hope this works. I think you can get it running again. I had several filters in storage for 7 years and I got them all running again after a very thorough cleaning.

cich1
01-10-2005, 09:35 PM
i second OwassoFish's post.sounds to me like the impellar is locked up.take it out and clean it up it should work.

slothshady
01-11-2005, 11:16 AM
are there any tricks to getting the impellar out on the AC300?

Heyguy74
01-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Its held there by magnetism. Just get a pair of long nose pliers and pull it out slowly. Be careful not to bend the impellar. Its plastic.

cich1
01-12-2005, 01:37 AM
how's it going with your filter?did you get it running again?

slothshady
01-12-2005, 12:28 PM
alright, i got it going last night!
before i even took the impellar out, i just gave it a little spin while it was plugged in and it started up. i took it out and cleaned it anyways...
thanks for the help