PDA

View Full Version : Nitra-Zorb: Is It Worth It?

labfan
01-10-2005, 12:17 PM
I had a nitrite / ammonia spike over the weekend and freaked out. I've used Nitra-Zorb before, and think it might help avoid the problem in the future. The literature says it's one of the few resins that absorbs both ammonia and nitrites/nitrates. It's also rechargable. Also looked at Purigen. Chemi-Pure is pretty good, but doesn't absorb nitrates (?).

Anybody used Nitra-Zorb before? What do you think?

WorldNation
01-14-2005, 11:55 AM
i used it a couple times. i like it and a product called De*Nitrate. it absorbs ammonia, nitrite and nitrates

labfan
01-14-2005, 01:14 PM
I overreacted a bit when I had an ammonia spike. Of course nothing beats a good sponge filter! BTW I bought some Biomax pre-made for the AquaClear Power Filters...how cool is that? Only about $5. Now I run biomax in both my Fluval 303 and the AC 300. Hopefully that will alleviate any ammonia/nitrite jump.

Glaive
01-14-2005, 01:47 PM
I would wonder what happened to cause the spike?

Did you clean/replace the bio media recently or add new fish?

labfan
01-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Yes, I took out too much filter media from both filters. Stupid. Did some quick ammonia removal and everything was fine. That's what led me on my "more Biomax" kick. Plus threw in a sponge filter. It's quite a shock to see your fish gasping for air!

Glaive
01-14-2005, 08:21 PM
Always rinse media in tank water and if you are changing it out I would never ever replace more than half, with even a half feeling very excessive. If you have sponges as part of te media, with regular maintenance they should last a good year atleast.

labfan
01-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Right....I replaced too much of the media. Been doing fine for over a year and just got distracted. Normally I only rinse or replace media in only one of the two canisters of the Fluval with no problems.

However I think it's going to help in the long run to have Biomax in both filters, which I'll never touch. Just more room for good bacteria.

Glaive
01-14-2005, 08:55 PM
My 204 has three baskets on one side a four very large sponges on the other.
The bottom basket has crushed coral and teh other two have bio max, I pretty much leave these alone. I pull all media out and rinse the sponges in the water left in teh fluval and then pour the water out once I am done rinsing then replace the media and reattach and prime teh 204. the 204 has been running since early july and no new sponges. My fluval 2+ which is sponges only has two year old sponges that are doing fine.

labfan
01-14-2005, 10:03 PM
I have a Fluval 303 that's going on about 4 years running. However it's the old version, more like an Eheim, but it's harder to get parts. Luckily I haven't had to do that much...really sturdy filter. I've seen those Fluval 2/304's and they look nice.

djfungus
01-28-2005, 12:53 PM
Hmm, does this thread apply to all kinds of media holding filters? I have a Magnum 350 canister filtering my tank along side 2 sponge filters hanging inside. Am I only supposed to be changing half of the carbon when I clean my magnum?

labfan
01-28-2005, 01:44 PM
No, I think it applies to "only change half your filter floss/foam" when you maintain the filter, unless you have a lot of biomax or other media that keeps a good home for nitrifying bacteria. I was an idiot and changed all the floss and filter foam in both my AC 300 and Fluval 303. I had biomax in the Fluval, but it wasn't enough to stop an ammonia spike. Got distracted. Won't do that again.......