PDA

View Full Version : carpet

fish speaker
01-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Most of my larger tanks are on hardwood floors. 3, however, are in my bedroom, which is carpeted. 2 of these are fairly narrow (front to back), so the stand manufacturer suggests anchoring to the wall to preven tipping (although they do not provide hardware for this). Any advice, tips on this? I am sure I can find what I need at the local hardware store, or Home Depot.

Also, the carpet "tack strip" up next to the wall makes the floor a little higher close to the wall. If the slope is only a few degrees, I'm sure it's fine. Any recommendations about when doing something to level things is needed, and how to do it?

Thanks,
David

Glaive
01-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Well with regards to it being level I would either pull it out from the wall the 1.5 inches of the tack strip or I would consider buying a piece of wood to use as a shim of sorts. Maybe 2 inches x 1/4 x the length of your stand and use that to off set the tack strip.

As for anchoring it to the wall I'd get a stud finder and perhaps try tapping in eye loops and then put the eye loop hooks to the stand... Hook it to the wall that way and then if it needs to move it's not permanent..

Sorry still groggy my terms are most likely off.

djfungus
01-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Yea, I would definately want to anchor it as well. I'm still new to the aquarium hobby, but I feel I know a decent amount about building. Maybe just pick up a few things from Home Depot, some eye loops, some L brackets, ect... and see what works best and return the rest. Just be sure whatever you use goes directly into a stud, both ends of the tank.

fish speaker
01-28-2005, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the tips. On my 75, I didn't realize that it wasn't going to be level until water was in the tank, so it's too late to go the shim route at this time (well, maybe if I did a massive water change, but I still am not sure I could get it done with that kind of weight). Fortunately, the slope isn't too much: if I fill the tank so that the water level at the rear is just hidden from view by the tank frame, the level in the front is not too high. I'm definitely going to anchor the tanks, though.

Another thing that I'll be doing is to fill in the space behind the stands on the sides, so that my cats don't get under them. I have done that in the past with boxes (strip light boxes, etc., tend to work well for this, but they just look like carp). I also am going to have to figure out a non-interactive way to keep my cats off of the tank tops. I think foil might be good...they will not like the feel and sound. They do most of their tank-top walking while I'm at work, leaving paw prints on the front of the tanks where they slide down. :rolleyes: