PDA

View Full Version : Fluval 404

ElectricBluesman
01-09-2005, 11:08 PM
OK, I havent had fish since my two tiger oscars died 10 years ago. Now i have a 2 1/2 year old son, and he just loves fish. We always go to the fish store and he just FREAKS out. So, like a good father, and finally over the loss of two awsome 12" predator tiger Oscars, I go and blow some change on a 55, a nice stand for the livingroom. Then i get what the fish store said came as an assorted group of African Cichlids. Still trying to figure out a couple of them. Anyway, I own a small trucking company and time is not always in abundance. So i ask the lady I want a filter system that some people might say is overkill for this tank. She says i have just the right thing. POW! Fulva 404. This is a great system. Ok, you got the petstore name tag...Ill take it. In trying to research the names of these fish, and taking in some of the Lingo. Nobody has once mentioned the "GREAT Fulva 404" how come?

lxxtvirusxxl
01-09-2005, 11:48 PM
well if u want an ''overkill'' filter go get a wet and dry filter

ElectricBluesman
01-10-2005, 12:36 AM
i dont want something rediculous i just wanted something i wont have to worry is doing the job. Everything seems great i just dont here anytalk about this brand that i bought.

Matt V
01-10-2005, 01:09 AM
do a site search for "fluval". lots of people are quite happy with them.

Glaive
01-10-2005, 01:11 AM
Even with a fluval 404 I would consider a HOB like an aquaclear or a penguin to go with it.

I have a 204 or 304 can't remember which, but I am very happy with it.

P-Did
01-10-2005, 02:13 AM
No matter how good your filtration is, if you really don't want to worry about the health of your fish, spend the 45 minutes per week to do 50% water change, vacuume the gravel, and rinse a filter pad in a bucket of tank water.

It's also always good to have more than one filter in case one bums out.

labfan
01-10-2005, 12:07 PM
I have a Fluval 303 (the older version) with my 50 gallon, along with an AquaClear 300 hang-on-back filter. The Fluval is a German (Hagen, I think) brand that is very solid, and I think is second to Eheim in quality when it comes to canister filters. However, the new versions (the 304, 404) have more plastic than the old versions. So I went with a 303. I heard one guy had a Fluval 303 for 9 years and counting. Great, solid filter. However, sometimes it's hard for me to get the suction going again after I clean it...you have to use the siphon starter which can be a pain. And when you do have to clean it, it can be a hassle (as with any canister filter). But you bought a good, solid filter for sure.

labfan
01-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Also, since you may not have a lot of time for maintenance as you mentioned, it was smart to get a canister filter like the Fluval, as it will last longer without maintenance than a smaller power filter.

ElectricBluesman
01-10-2005, 03:50 PM
I do a 20% water change every sunday and rinse one of the filter chambers every sunday. What will the HOB do for me?

What i ment about the spare time is it would suck to work a 16 hour day and then have to come home cause the canister just pumped 55 gallons of water on the floor next to my new TV.

I have 8 fish and im getting the names narrowed down.

1 P. Socolofi
1 Yellow Lab
1 male/1 female Kenyi Im pretty sure
1 Johannii (maybe)
1 Auratus or Chipokae (kinda confused)
2 Venustus

plus 1 pleco AKA the garbage man

sound ok?

Glaive
01-10-2005, 07:13 PM
The Hob would be an extra filter that does a nice job "polishing " the water. Basically keeps teh water crystal clear. However it is also another biological filter which can be good in case one tanks for some reason.

I have yet to have any tank dumping experience with my 204. It is an amazing biological filter <ammonia & nitrite are undetectable since I installed it> just always seems to miss the little stuff that a hob would get.

I have had mine running since june or july I believe and I have yet to replace any media. I usually rinse it out the sponges in the remaining water in the fluval's case when I discoect for maintenance and then dump it. put it back to gether reattach and prime. Takes maybe 5 minutes once a month.

labfan
01-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I use the Fluval as the workhorse filter, and only maintain it once a month or every 6 weeks. I change media on the HOB AC filter once a week or so. Works out really well.

Are you sure you want Melanochromis Auratus with the others? I hear they can get really nasty.