PDA

View Full Version : bio load

ocean hawk
01-06-2005, 07:35 PM
This is the bio-load in my tank. The tank is 125g, is this to many fish. I am new to C/S American Cichlids so I need some help. Thanks.

2 Jags
2 Salvinis
2 Green severums
1 Green terror
1 Jack dempsey
1 Texas cichlid
1 Firemouth

3 Plecos
1 Catfish

punkypuffer
01-06-2005, 09:24 PM
what size are they? if they are small it would be okay, but they would definately be waaay too much when sub adult-full grown.

IMO, 2 jags in a 125 at full adult size would be the max... but you might get other opinions.

i would ride it out until they start to grow and mature, then either upgrade or get another 125ish sized tank and split up the stock

ocean hawk
01-10-2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the info, I plan to ride it out and then just upgrade to another tank.

punkypuffer
01-10-2005, 11:49 PM
that's what i do.. just get the lil ones and upgrade as they go :) i can't stand having a huge fish tank with one or two teeny fish in it

ocean hawk
01-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Yeah small fish in a big tank looks kinda silly. On a side note I see you have a puffer tank. Where can I go to get some good info? I myself would like a puffer tank (fresh water). And is there a non-aggressive species that could go in a discus tank, since they require the same water type. Or am I way off. Thanks.

agez
01-11-2005, 06:36 PM
no puffer can live with discus im afraid, but we'd love it if there were one that could! and with the jags, i would save yourself the heart-ache and ditch one- they seem to kill eachother! try a different species of fish, synspillum maybe? maybe a festae??

Rex Karr
01-11-2005, 09:38 PM
I know of people who have kept Colomesus asellus with Discus. This Amazonian species is apparently rather docile.

bevoman
01-11-2005, 09:59 PM
That is the commonly known Peruvian Puffer and they are very docile. They reach full size at about two inches. Rex, don't discus get stressed very easily. I would think the relatively active nature of these little guys could stress a discus. Just a thought. The temperament of the puffer is definitely ok.

ocean hawk
01-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Yeah I was wondering abou the activity. the people on the discus forum dont have any info on it because they say it hasdnt been done. but that doesnt mean it wont work. I just want to be sure of things before I go ahead with it.

bevoman
01-12-2005, 09:12 PM
I don't think I would do it. I think it would stress the discus. Just my opinion.

punkypuffer
01-13-2005, 04:32 PM
i would check out www.thepufferforum.com and see what they think about putting the asselus puffs with discus. there are some extremely knowledgable peeps on there

Rex Karr
01-13-2005, 05:19 PM
The problem is finding someone who is both knowledgable and experianced with both types of fish. I don't keep discus (or puffers) but I have never been under the impression that an active fish would stress them out. But how active are puffers anyways? I've never seen any that I thought were active in any form.

Keep in mind that I don't even have a clue as to what I'm talking about.

agez
01-13-2005, 06:37 PM
discus DEFINATELY get freaked out by a fast or intusive fish! so much so that the wrong type of tetra in there can cause the kind of stress levels that bring out white spot and parasites that ALL discus worldwide are geneticly born a host to, this lays dormant until the fish is stressed or in unfamilliar water conditions.

punkypuffer
01-13-2005, 08:16 PM
the asselus puffers are extremely active IME.

i wouldn't add them with discus though, they are too expensive to risk it, IMO

chc
01-17-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Rex Karr
Keep in mind that I don't even have a clue as to what I'm talking about.

That's so refreshing to hear! Too bad it's untrue.