PDA

View Full Version : wood concerns

ed
01-05-2005, 03:16 PM
I have some questions about this piece of wood that I got a few weeks ago when I bought this guy's used tank. He never used the wood in his tank, and he said it might be meant for lizard setups.
So, do wood decorations for lizards have chems in them that would harm your tank chemistry?
I have been soaking the wood in my tub for a fews days now, and I also did a soaking with some bleach in the water. The wood still floats, and I have been using a rock to submerge it in the tub. Will the wood ever sink? How long should I keep soaking it? I can't exactly boil it either because it's 3 feet long. Any comments appreciated.

chc
01-05-2005, 06:05 PM
You could soak it for months and see if it sinks (it may take even longer than that though). The bleach was a good idea; just remember to rinse it well and perhaps add a 10x dose of dechlor.

I doubt it would have any chemicals in it.

ed
01-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Thanks chc. I'll just tie a rock to it or something until it sinks.
How long should I soak it before adding it to my tank?

Also, this is a nice long piece, but I would like to add more wood to the tank. Can I just poke around the creek near my place and do the bleach rinse thing with whatever I find?

chc
01-05-2005, 11:22 PM
You can, and the bleach should kill dangerous parasites, etc. The big concern would be organics. Driftwood will add some organics in even the best situation, but a "raw" piece of wood that hasn't been submerged in a creek very long still has a lot of sap and other similar things that may conplicate your nitrogen cycle as it degrades in your tank.

Many people still do that though and just manage with more water changes, etc. Personally, I'd be very careful what I picked, but I would do it if I found a good piece.

ed
01-06-2005, 01:10 AM
What about the piece I have now that's been bleached and has been soaking/rinsing for several days? Should I go ahead and try it in the tank?

Glaive
01-07-2005, 12:07 PM
With regaurds to the new wood if you have a good sized pot that it will fit in, boil it.

When I had a viquarium I boiled all wood and misc rocks for 30-40 minutes and then baked the wood at 350 for an hour...

chc
01-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by ed
What about the piece I have now that's been bleached and has been soaking/rinsing for several days? Should I go ahead and try it in the tank?

The big thing now is eliminating the chlorine from the bleach. I usually rinse it several times and then soak it for a day or so in fresh water with a !0x dose of dechlorinator.

ed
01-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the dechlorinator tip chc. I soaked and rinsed it several times after the bleach.
I put the wood in the tank over the weekend and everything seems great so far. It still floats like a buoy though.