PDA

View Full Version : need some hardy plants...

wheelie
01-04-2005, 07:01 PM
The longest I've ever had a plant live before being completely eaten is about 2 months. Are there any particularly hardy plants (preferably tall ones too) out there that could maybe endure a little longer than others? I have no clue what kind I have in there now.

cich1
01-05-2005, 08:58 AM
check out The Krib.Com,FreshwaterAquariumPlants.Com,and Aquabotanic.Com.those sites also have links to more useful sites as well.:wink:

HTH

nicksta
01-05-2005, 09:53 AM
get some java fern. it the only stuff my cichlids dont uproot or shred to pieces. looks good too

Heyguy74
01-05-2005, 11:34 AM
You can try some of the larger anubias species. Sometimes the sites sell mother plants. They are usually expensive but small plants usually dont survive. I keep a couple of very large anubias with my larger cichlids and they dont touch them. I dont know if your experienced with plants but read up on the care of plants before just sticking a plant in a tank. Good Luck

chc
01-05-2005, 11:26 PM
Good advice there with the anubias (very tough leaves) and java fern (supposedly tastes badly). Most anything else will get eaten or nibbled by your silver dollars. You may be able to get away with crinum ("onion plant"). Java moss (not fern) is good too.

Floating plants are a good option. Duckweed can generally grow faster than the fish can eat it, and water lettuce has very attrative roots that dangle into the water. Both plants do a fine job of absorbing excess organics too.

wheelie
01-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions! I'll definitely be looking into the anubias and java moss- water lettuce sounds pretty cool too. Funny thing you mentioned it chc, the onion plant was the one that lasted the longest, and it finally got eaten up last week. Thanks again!

Jonathan

edcamilleri
01-10-2005, 12:42 AM
try the amazon sword. It is a large plant, and although it gets nibbled by cichlids, this replaces the leaves.

SuperDave9x19
01-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by edcamilleri
try the amazon sword. It is a large plant, and although it gets nibbled by cichlids, this replaces the leaves.

My awesome 4 yr old Amazon sword plant has been mauled by my Dempseys and Nicaraguans.

JesseGoslee
01-15-2005, 08:24 AM
Amazon swords are the only plant that has survived my fish.

sippyjuice
01-18-2005, 02:10 AM
I bought some plant seed pods at Wal-Mart for 2 bucks. dropped them in the tank, waited a few weeks and blam I got plants. My cichlids don't mess with them, they look great. The contrast of green and rock and fish really brings the tank to life. I don't know if it's because the plants grew from seed while the cichlids were small or what but I've had my plants in there for about 4 or 5 months now. Maybe I've been lucky...there's my 2 cents