PDA

View Full Version : Take a look for me! (experts)

fishman
01-02-2005, 01:54 PM
I have a 29g that has been up and running for about 6 months now, and I just got my new 75g for christmas :D. The question is that I will be leaving for about 5 days for a car show but I want the new tank to cycle while I am gone. If I put my used biowheel filter, some of the sand, and some of the decorations (rocks etc.) into the new 75g, and run that the whole time I am gone with my new filters as well, would I still need to put fish in there. The reason I ask is because I have no way of feeding the cycling fish while I am gone. My fish in the 29g have an autofeeder while I am gone. So I was just thinking maybe the other stuff from the 29g would put it through a cycle, this will be my first tank transfer so I was wondering if this would even work. Of course I want to get it stocked with my fish as quick as I can so if you guys could let me know the best way to do this while I am gone it would be a great help. Thanks alot.

chc
01-02-2005, 06:50 PM
You'll need a steady supply of organic waste for the tank to cycle. You won't need to feed the fish during the process since fish produce ammonia, etc. during the normal course of respiration and other functions.

r6racer75
01-05-2005, 10:28 PM
By adding your biowheel and stuff from your other tank, you will only kill your current biofilter by not feeding it. It will literally starve to death as mentioned above. If you want to try to keep it going, the only thing I can think of is to put some of the stuff from the old thank, sand, rocks etc...and drop in a weekend feeder before you leave. One of the slow disolving nuggets of food thats really not good for much else. At least that way, you have a slow releasing source of food.

Leave the biowheel alone unless you are there to supervise the cycling. Which by the way will take a couple of weeks to complete in a well seeded tank and 6-8 in a fresh one.