PDA

View Full Version : Eheim 2217+ for a 672 Litre tank?

cjh2184
01-01-2005, 06:01 AM
I've been having recent filter noise problems, as my tank is in my room, with no chance of re-location. So Iíve decided to get a quieter Eheim canister filter. I've not got the cash at the moment to get a 2260, as it's very expensive after buying the filter and all the media required for it. So I think I may get the Eheim 2217+. It has a Pump output of 1000 Litres/Hour and a Filter circulation of 790 Litres/Hour. So Iím thinking that since my tank holds 672 litres, then I would be achieving a full tank water turnover inside the hour... which I have read from several sources to be recommended.
So what's your opinion on this? I need a quieter filter because it's near my place of sleep... so hopefully the Eheim will sort this problem out? I would love to hear from anyone who is in a similar situation to me, regarding the Eheim 2217 being in there bedroom. Thanks in advance for any help guys :)

contoursvt
01-01-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi there,

I've got a 100 gallon aquarium which is smaller than what you have and the LFS said that a 2217 will handle my tank ok as long as I'm not overcrowding - but they said that they would not recommend it for a tank that is really much bigger than a 125 gallon.

I ended up going with the 2260 even though it was very expensive but I regret doing it. I may try and return it. The pump is fairly quiet but it causes a lot of vibration on the canister which then passes the vibration back to the pump. Basically its a very loud filter once the pump is mounted to the canister. So much so that I've disconnected it and packaged it back in the box to go for an exchange. I'll see if I can get two 2217's instead of the one filter. I would rather just clean one filter but I couldnt live with that kind of vibration.

cjh2184
01-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Do you think two 2217's would be quiet?

contoursvt
01-01-2005, 12:37 PM
I'm hoping it would be quiet. The vibration I felt from the 2260 was very intense. I will take it back to the store for them to check out. Maybe there is a problem with the pump which is replacable. There is no way the vibration and noise from a 2217 can be anything like this. Also the 2217 would be a cheaper route, however the 2260 will have much more filtering capacity and about double the flow rate

bicyclekick69
01-02-2005, 12:58 AM
I have two 2217's on my 135gal along with a magnum for water polishing. The Eheims coulnt be quieter. You honestly wont even know they are there--that is how quiet they are. Good luck

contoursvt
01-02-2005, 03:05 PM
I went today and had the pump replaced on the 2260 and this new pump is about 1/2 the vibration and loudness of the old one. I can live with this one. I wouldnt say its silent but its more quiet than the combination of the aquaclear 500's I had on the tank and the power head that was running the pro-60 kit I had. So overall volume of sound is lower but I wouldnt call it a silent filter.

I am hoping that after a few weeks, a coating of slime or something will develope on the impeler shaft and help dampen any vibrations some more. It is a monster of a filter though and that makes me happy :)

cjh2184
01-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I agree that the 2260 is worth the money if you have your tank outside of your bedroom. But for me I hate having buzzing noise in my room... it honestly keeps me from sleeping. No matter how hard I try to not think about it... a constant buzzing sound is un-avoidable to me.
Anyway, I bought a 2217, I bought it online, and so when it arrives Iíll see how it does with my tank for a day on its own. As it turns the full tank water at least once an hour... Iíll have the two fluvals for back-up in case it's not sufficient. But if it turns out ok, I will use it only.... if not I will buy a second one.
Thanks for sharing your experiences... much appreciated :)