PDA

View Full Version : Quick cheap way to eliminate green water???

Paul C.
01-28-2003, 07:56 PM
I have a tank that has developed green water from an algae bloom. I have never encountered this problem before in 15+ years of fishkeeping.
Not sure what the best way to get rid of it is.
I know that a diatom filter or uv sterilizer will work, however they are still costly up here in Canada. Any other sure fire ways to kill it?
If not which of the two is better at killing it quickly?
Any thoughts are most appreciated. Thanks.

Adam
01-29-2003, 09:17 PM
What about doing a water change or two, to get rid of some of the green algae, and then replacing the water with ro water. Otherwise, i don;t know what could be happening. Nice to hear from someone in canada.

fOx
01-30-2003, 11:18 AM
A few water changes and maybe a filter change? Why has your water gone green? Have you been doing regular maintenance or is the result of neglect?

At any rate, you could try that phosphorus remover compund that you insert into a filter... the fish store should have some. Other than that, I'd just stick to a bit of a tank overhaul and maybe add some more filtration.

Sometimes algae blooms are caused by stagnant water, you could try increasing the circulation in the tank.

Hope this helps, good luck.

fOx

Rudy
01-30-2003, 12:21 PM
I hate algae blooms!

The easiest way to turn all the lights out in the tank and put a blanket over it so it get no light. Wait 3-4 days and then buy a product called clear. It is a particulate remover so lumps up the crap so it is easier to filter out. Be sure to take out your sponges from your filter and put some floss in there so your sponges aren't collecting all that crap.

It may help as well to put a phosphate sponge in your filter as well, but personally I would wait until you do the above as it will be more effective as they have limited usage.

Algae blooms are caused by excess phosphates in your water caused by to many nutrients. Sometimes by your water and most times by to much light.

If I were you I would wait until after to do a water change as it may just add nutrients to the water and continue the bloom. Just throw an airstone in there in the meantime to make sure the fish aren't gasping.

merlyn2221
01-30-2003, 06:21 PM
Hey Paul!:)

I would do heavy duty water changes, change filter media, and check temperature and lighting (as suggested in previous post). Clear works great, but just be sure to follow the directions carefully.

To cut down on algal blooms in the future, cheaply (because diatom filters and RO filters are costly in the States, too) I use a Tap Water Filter made by Aquarium Pharmeceuticals. It will make the water a perfect 7.0 after you add chemicals that come with the unit. You can then add the proper buffer for your tank to raise the pH. I started using this small, compact filter when I had an ugly phosphate problem in a tropical tank I used to keep.

Try this link to take a look at a Tap Water Filter. They sell the chemicals too. It's the cheapest I've found online or at the lfs. Good luck!
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=4484

Paul C.
02-05-2003, 07:00 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
Thought I would update you guys a bit. Tried changing 25% of tanks volume daily for 5 days while it was in darkness. Didn't seem to help much. Finally broke down and bought a diatom filter. After researching the pros and cons of either a uv sterilizer or diatom filter, I finally decided to get a Vortex diatom filter. (seems like it will be more useful. It is also easily transported from tank to tank.)I have to tell you guys that IMO it is the BEST water polisher period. I bought the larger of the two units (400GPH at 1 foot) It works so fast you can actually see it right before your eyes. The tank with green water(46 gallons) was crystal clear after only 20 mins.(almost had to check if there was still water in the tank it was so clear.) No bullcrap. I also have some 90 gallon tanks and man it did the same thing in about an hour. They will filter out particles all the way down to 1 micron. (thats pretty small considering an average garbage bags thickness is around 20 microns.) I love it already.
I'm not sure what prices are like in the U.S. for diatoms but their pretty costly up here in Canada.
Thought I'd pass this along to you guys:
Vortex makes two models: the D-1(150 Gallons/hour) and the XL (400 gallons/hour)
The prices at Big Als Store was(I checked yesterday) were $210 and $250 Canadian.
At Big Als Online store they were $189 and $219. (they are usually the cheapest)
Here's the kicker, I found a new(to me) online store based in Ontario, Canada called MOPS. They offer prompt UPS shipping at a nominal charge of around $7.00. (their website shows prices clearly by postal code or zip.) Ready for the price???
The XL(bigger) was only $160.00. Thats CHEAPER then Big Als store by $90.00 and still $60.00 cheaper then their online store. I had Bid Al's here in town match the price without hassle. Their D-1 was only $120.00. I'm not sure if it's a good deal for all you in the U.S. but here in Canada, it's a steal.

Rudy
02-06-2003, 09:50 AM
Mops?? Never heard of it, but I want to. What is the website Paul?

Paul C.
02-06-2003, 07:49 PM
Hey Rudy,

Sorry. :oops: I guess that would help, eh? They are called Mail Order Pet Supplies. :D
http://www.mops.on.ca/
Some of their prices are great, others so so, some are bad. Just like anywhere I guess. Good prices on Ebo-Jager heaters as well.

mouse6196
12-15-2004, 11:50 PM
I use MOPS for quite abit of my stuff. Nice to see Canadians ont he board.