PDA

View Full Version : Why is my water cloudy?

merlyn2221
01-28-2003, 07:31 PM
After last partial water change, my water got a little cloudy. All water parameters are in good ranges. Filter media had been rinsed the week before, and there was no problem.

Got any ideas? If you need more specific info let me know.

Adam
01-28-2003, 08:07 PM
Try another water change, sometimes there are large deposits of garbage in the sand and substrate and you didn't quite get it all. Of course, getting someone else's opinion would be a good idea, but doing another water change would be beneficial

merlyn2221
01-28-2003, 08:42 PM
Thanks Adam. It's certainly worth a try! :)

SGypsyMermaid
01-28-2003, 08:47 PM
sounds like a bacterial bloom...could your tank be cycling? how long has it been set up? feed lightly, keep a close watch on ammonia/nitrite levels.

merlyn2221
01-28-2003, 09:08 PM
Filters are both established. The Emperor for over a year, and the Fluval canister for 2 months.

How about an algal bloom...as in some kind of disgusting brownish algae.
:o :shock:
It has recently started to appear after the last water change, as well.

Ammonia is 0ppm and Nitrates are 0ppm. I have been testing every other day since this cloudy issue, just to be sure.

I'll be doing a regular water change on Friday. Think I should take out more than the usual 20%?

SGypsyMermaid
01-28-2003, 09:16 PM
[quote:e9b24827d7="merlyn2221"]Filters are both established. The Emperor for over a year, and the Fluval canister for 2 months.

How about an algal bloom...as in some kind of disgusting brownish algae.
:o :shock:
It has recently started to appear after the last water change, as well.

Ammonia is 0ppm and Nitrates are 0ppm. I have been testing every other day since this cloudy issue, just to be sure.

I'll be doing a regular water change on Friday. Think I should take out more than the usual 20%?[/quote:e9b24827d7]

i would increase the amount of the water change--double it.

merlyn2221
01-28-2003, 09:26 PM
Ok, will do.

No what about the salt? :shock:

Just kidding. Hey, but on that subject...

Do you dissolve it in the tank, or in a container? I have read that is ok to do either. I have done it both ways. Which do you think is best? The last water change I did it right in the tank.

SGypsyMermaid
01-28-2003, 09:36 PM
[quote:8c7db7ca5d="merlyn2221"]
Do you dissolve it in the tank, or in a container? I have read that is ok to do either. I have done it both ways. Which do you think is best? The last water change I did it right in the tank.[/quote:8c7db7ca5d]

i killed quite a few fish by dissolving salt and rift lake salts directly in the tank--don't do it! dissolve the salt in a separate container then add to the tank...i hope that you are measuring those salt amounts carefully...you promised.

merlyn2221
01-28-2003, 10:04 PM
OH NO! :o I thought dissolving in the tank was OK!!!:shock:

I will not do this again!!! And yes, I am extremely careful after the last "episode" which you so kindly helped me through.

mdemers883
01-29-2003, 02:01 PM
You said that your rinsed your media, when you rinsed it did you rinse it with tank water or dechorinated water?

Mark

merlyn2221
01-29-2003, 04:52 PM
Mark:

I used dechlorinated water, run through a tap water filter for aquariums.

I think it was the salt that caused the problem. When I did my water change last night, the water began to clear up today. I dissolved the salt in a container before I added it to the tank. (Last time I didn't, like a jerk!)

I think it will be ok, since tank has cleared up already. :)