PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate Problem need Advice

alfdawg
12-29-2004, 10:26 AM
:(
I checked my tanks last night on my water tests and ran into a problem. Here are my tests results.

80g
two Oscars
One 10 In
one 8 in
two plecos
4-5 ins

water test
ph 8
nitrite 0
amonia 0

55g
two GT's 2-3 ins
3 cons .5-1 in
2 jewels 2 in

water test
ph 8.2
nitrite 0
amonia 0

I also have a third tank 29g that I'm cycling for the jewels.
The tests were
Nitrite 0
PH 9
amonia 0

This is where I ran into a problem. When I did a test on the 29g for Nitrates I came up with 40 ppm. I freaked so I tested the other two tanks and got the same thing. The last time I checked I got 20 ppm. I then checked my tap water from the well and got the same reading 40 ppm. I thought I have to be doing something wrong and check my RO jug water and came up with 0ppm on it. Now I have the problem of the well having too much Nitrates. I will have to work on that. My main concern is the fish right now. They seem to be doing fine. I have found two prodcuts that might help. One is Prime by Seachem. The other is Nitra-Zorb by aquarium PH. What advice could you guys give me? All help would be greatly apprecaited. TIA

:confused:

Jaws
12-29-2004, 11:50 AM
I have nitrate in my well water and my tanks are both 30ppm. But, I have to work very hard to get it there. I have to keep tanks extra clean along with the filters. I stir my gravel with my hands to kick up all the waste. So far its helping.

chc
12-29-2004, 11:49 PM
No reason to get worked up. That's not nearly a toxic level. It would be nice to keep it lower, but 40ppm for hardy fish is no big deal.

Test your tap water every other day for a couple of weeks. See if there is any change. Perhaps you're water system is spiking right now and it will drop.

If your tap stays at 40ppm right out of the faucet, you may need to move toward chemical filtration and other options, but it's really not a big deal for freshwater fish (especially ones that aren't sensitive girly-men like discus!).

Matt V
12-30-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by chc
but it's really not a big deal for freshwater fish (especially ones that aren't sensitive girly-men like discus!).

:rofl2:

i get seasonal spikes with mine - a little higher in the summer, a little lower in the winter. i just do slightly larger water changes in the summer.

tom
12-30-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by chc
(especially ones that aren't sensitive girly-men like discus!).
:rofl2:

punkypuffer
12-30-2004, 11:11 AM
:lol2:

alfdawg
12-30-2004, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the advice I will let you guys know if anything changes.:)