PDA

View Full Version : Eheim 2217 filter for 100 gal

contoursvt
12-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Hi there,

I've currently got a 100 gallon tank with two medium sized convicts, one 5" long dempsy, 10 5" long silver dollars and a large pleco.

The filteration currently consists of two AC 500s used just with the sponge and two aquaclear 401 power heads powering two penguin pro-60 kits (so 4 large wheels in total).

The top of the tank is very cluttered with pipes and things as well as there being a lot of water noise. Can I remove the two pro-60 kits and replace it with the 2217 for biological filteration? I figure the AC 500s are still good for water flow and mechanical filteration.

Thanks in advance

chc
12-26-2004, 07:32 PM
The bio-wheels will probably do a better job. That's four wheels (two kits), right?

Just keep the water level up as high as you can to limit the noise.

BTW, you can always add the Eheim and keep everything else too!

contoursvt
12-26-2004, 07:50 PM
Thats correct chc, its the pro-60's which each have two large wheels so four in total. I like them but that damned splashing :) I usually keep the water about an an inch from the bottom part of the black plastic that goes around the top edge (so its areally 2" or so from the top of the tank). I guess its not that horribly bad in terms of noise but occasionally it gets to me when I want silence.

chc
12-27-2004, 12:41 AM
Why are you keeping the water level down? Do you have floating plants or something?

Regardless, I like that your tank is so well filtered..... good water movement and nice bio with the pro-60's.

contoursvt
12-27-2004, 12:49 AM
This might sound stupid but I keep it down an inch or two because I have no top on the tank and sometimes when fish scrap they might jump out of the water just a bit - I just have this vision that in a full tank of water they might easily just leap out of the water an inch close to an edge and fall on the floor or something. This way they would have to make a stronger effort. I'm probably paranoid. An easy fix would be to get a top :)

About the filteration,I believe the fish deserve the best I can give them considering that I'm keeping them out of their natural habitat (not that they know this). I have a 40 gallon as well which has two Emperor 400's on there. That one is doing exceptionally well because it also has many live plants. The only cichlids in that one are a pair of Apistogrammas and a single angelfish which I had to put in because my friend was going to abandon it! The other inhabitants are 9 full grown Congo tetras and 3 kuli loach.

Hmm maybe I'll try makng a top for the tank over the holidays and raise the water a bit.

chc
12-27-2004, 09:11 AM
Yeah, live plants always help a tank. I've been using red mangrove tubers in some of my tanks for a couple of years, and they do very well once they get established.

Sounds like Santa should have brought you a lid for your tank!

punman
12-27-2004, 11:45 PM
I have a 2217 and an AC 500 on a 90 gallon with 16 cichlids and everything is fine.

agez
12-28-2004, 12:06 AM
16 cichlids in a 90 gallon????? even if their dwarves thats a bit many!!! no offence to you personally man but im sick of the over crouding/cruel to fish speech so i wont go into long term effects like physical deformaties and growth stunting right now, but as for contoursvt's question: id get a lid and raise that water level to stop the water breaking the surface for noise (as long as your powerheads have air tubes attatched to supply enough O2 for the fish to breath) otherwise you need to have the water low enough for the noisey trickling to break the waters surface creating bubbles! ps i strongly admire your attitude towards fish keeping and stock per tanksize! GREAT to see someone who cares for their fishes well being rather than sacrificing living creatures wellbing their bed/livingroom display looks!!!! great to have you onboard contoursvt

contoursvt
12-28-2004, 05:22 AM
Glad to be onboard :)

I have been contemplating replacing all the HOB filters with the canisters. If I go with two 2217's, would that be sufficient for the 100 gallon and if so, will it give me enough filteration to handle a 180gal or 220 when I upgrade the tank in a couple years? I figure once that happens, I can sell my 100 with some of the HOB filters...

I also saw an eheim 2260 which was freaking huge at the store. I know the one of those would handle it no problem. Anyone have any experience with those? I know it will be expensive because it comes with no media or quick disconnects for hte hoses so I'll have to buy those separate.... It will essentially cost 3x the price of the 2217 filters. It looks to be a very sturdy and well built filter. Looks more sturdy than the 2217. The metal clips scare me on the 2217. Looks flimsy and doesnt feel very tight. Mind you that was when the filter was empty. Maybe with water in it, it will press up against the clips and tighten up.

So if I want all canister and want room to grow... 2x2217 or 1x2260?

Thanks guys for putting up with all the questions :)

chc
12-28-2004, 10:08 AM
Two is usually better than one. You can service one while the other remains undisturbed. Also, should one fail to operate properly (not likely for an Eheim), you'd have a working backup.

You may also be able to utilize the separate returns to create currents in the tank which would direct the particulate wastes toward the intakes.

contoursvt
12-28-2004, 03:39 PM
I ended up going with the 2260. It seemed like it was built better and the media capacity is very impressive and the motor appears to be a standard eheim hobby pump so if that ever fails, its easy to get a replacement pump. I might keep my AQ 500 as spare incase the eheim ever fails. I can pull out the bio media and put it in a bag and fill the AQ with that to keep the media alive until the eheim is fixed. Again, the chances of that is probaby not likely...

It was a very expensive purchase after buying the disconnects and media. Like buying three 1/2 2217s. The guys at the LFS did say it was by far the most reliable filter and most versatile they have used. A bit of a pain to clean from what I hear.

agez
12-28-2004, 05:58 PM
you did the right thing, the clips on the older small models have bent after a couple years and caused floods at my lfs, they switch to a giant bucket (which i think you got?) AND all others are fluval 404's. one warning to ANYONE who has external canisters: NEVER and i mean NEVER wash with hot water!!!!! it warps the plastic design and the seals never quite fit again, causing MASSIVE floods!!!!!!!!
and contoursvt: keep 2 of your biowheels going with the new ehiem for about 2-3 weeks so your new one ages without a worry! take care cya!

contoursvt
12-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Wow that was some good advise. I never thought about the hot water thing. I will wash it with cold or luke warm water and for sure I will keep my bios going for a couple weeks to a month. Actually I was going to keep all my filters going for about a month and then after that time, every couple week I was going to remove one - to make for a smooth transition to just the canister.

I guess with any canister, its always a good idea to keep an eye on it for a couple days after a cleaning to make sure no leaks start. Hopefully I wont have many issues.

PS. Yes I did get the huge one that looks like a 5 gallon bucket. I figured it will potentially be the last filter I buy :)

chc
12-29-2004, 11:50 PM
agez: nice advice there on the hot water thing!