PDA

View Full Version : PowerHead functioning?!

goodgodohgravy
01-28-2003, 08:48 AM
My friend recently gave me his old powerhead (maxi-Jet) because he replaced it with a Rio. I turned the powerhead on but i see no bubbles coming from the head. I feel a strong current but no bubbles. So is it oxygenating my water?

fish-eyed-fool
01-28-2003, 10:05 AM
[quote:abf63d3fb6="goodgodohgravy"]My friend recently gave me his old powerhead (maxi-Jet) because he replaced it with a Rio. I turned the powerhead on but i see no bubbles coming from the head. I feel a strong current but no bubbles. So is it oxygenating my water?[/quote:abf63d3fb6]

Usually there won't be any bubbles. If you feel the flow, then it is working properly. If you want bubbles to come out of the nozzle, you'll need to attach an airline tube to the powerhead. Many of them have a special fitting for just this purpose. Attach the tubing to the special intake nozzle and make sure the other end of the tube is above the water line of the tank. The action of the water rushing past the intake nozzle will pull air through the tube and thus bubbles will issue forth from the powerhead.

However, this may not be that beneficial. Most aeration of the water comes from surface agitation. Little bubbles in the water impart next to no oxygen to the water. You would be better served to point the powerhead towards the surface to create more ripples.