PDA

View Full Version : False reading???

whispering wolf
12-19-2004, 02:59 PM
I have a 125 gallon tank that has been up for about 2 years. I just recently switched to a South/Central american tank from a African Tank. When I made the change I totally cleaned the tank and remixed the Substrate with rocks (had sand). Of course, the bio system to a shock to this as I expected. But it has been about 2 weeks and I have repopulated the tank and the fish seem very happy. I have noticed though with testing the water that my nitrate is very high.I have put Prime in the tank because I have public water where I live. My fish seem happy,Ammonia is very low to nonexistant, and my PH is right where it should be. Do I have a false Nitrate reading due to the Prime? I am very confused, never seen this before, exspecially since my fish act like nothing is wrong. Please help.

Glaive
12-19-2004, 03:16 PM
Is it a nitrate reading, as oppossed to a nitrite reading, and what is the reading?

Nitrates are no where near as toxic to fish as nitrites or ammonia... Regular water changes help lower them, as well as live plants

whispering wolf
12-19-2004, 05:48 PM
I am using a liquid tester and it is testing nitrite it says. I am getting readings of 5 ppm and higher. Now with readings this high my fish should be dead. But they are swimming around like nothing is wrong. I am stumped.

captclams
12-19-2004, 06:51 PM
How long have you been getting the high nitrite reading? Did it just start or has it been consistantly high for two weeks? It could just be a spike in the cycle. What are your nitrate readings?
Also, even as juvies, that's a ponderous bio-load in that tank.

Glaive
12-19-2004, 07:31 PM
Try this, take a sample of your water to a LFS and have them test it. At a ntrite reading that high I would believe your fish would be gasping due to poisoning.

What do you have as far as filtration goes? Biological and mechanical.

Jaws
12-20-2004, 08:42 AM
I had No3 readings around 20-40 in my tank and was too lazy to have an idiot waste my time at the lfs. I distilled the same water to test it and the reading should be and was a big fat zero. I beleive my test kit is working properly then.

whispering wolf
12-20-2004, 11:38 AM
Like jaws said Im no taking my water to the LFS because they dont know jack. I am using a magnum 350.empor hang on (forget what the name is, has the 2 bio-wheels) and a wet/dry filter rated for 175 but its new. I have never had this problem in the 2 years the tank has been set-up. It almost as if it is starting from scratch. But the fish are fine ( if it was bad my eel would have been dead long ago). I just think it's cycling from the major cleaning I did and the addition to new substrate. But I would think it would have cycled by now.

whispering wolf
12-20-2004, 11:52 AM
oh and as for the bio-load, half will be moved to my other 125 once i finish the wet/dry plumbing.

punkypuffer
12-21-2004, 04:11 PM
you don't necesssarily have to take the water to the lfs and listen to their advice, what glaive was suggesting was taking it to see if their readings came out the same.

i resent the comment about the lfs "don't know jack". Not every single lfs worker is stupid! i just recently quit working at one and i would say i know quite a bit.. i mean.. look at my post count, i make quite a contribution on this forum.

my point being, it's almost like being prejudice... saying we're all "stupid"

whispering wolf
12-21-2004, 05:31 PM
For one I said "they" as in the LFS I go to. So dont get so up-tight. Second I have the liquid and the test strips and I know that they use the same liquid test I do. So I dont need to go there for thier suggestions. I would rather get info from people on this forum who do this as a passion not a job (no offense to you). And dont let the post count fool you I have been a member of this forum since 2000 but changed my name because I changed from a African tank to the present and wanted to start from "scratch" so to speak on these boards.

Oh and I've been on forums long unuff to know that just because your post count is high doesnt mean you are contributing any good info. Not saying that is the case for you but yet it was a very childish statement you made. :ok:

agez
12-21-2004, 06:34 PM
ooooh! gowd, this forums getiing a bit rough all round, OK......cmon you guys *one arm around each of you*......
you know i love you both!, why go and break my heart like that?, what did unky age ever do to you guys huh? ;) no one means anything by anything right? RIGHT? good! *kisses you both on the forehead* now make me proud you little whipersnapers! :D

seriously, punky's really clever n im sure you are too! i think your both cool personally n ive learned from both of you even though i only been here a short while, (moved over from mojo's).
- MOD please delete all this badness or something n maybe just leave the fish stuff, or whatever you feel is apropriate......

as for your question, i wouldnt worry about it . id personally do a 20% change every second day for 4 days (2 changes) add cycle new tank dosage after the the first, then the rest of the bottle daily as recomended there after. (remember to refrigerate your cycle before use and as storage thereafter!!!! or it wonk do jack!
peace my babies!!!!

punkypuffer
12-21-2004, 10:45 PM
i wasn't taking anything personally, i was just saying that it's not fair to assume that people at the lfs are stupid.. sheesh... i don't consider anything i said "childish". i never said anything mean to you, i dont believe i deserved that statement

punkypuffer
12-21-2004, 11:06 PM
oh, and i also wanted to say i'm sorry for giving you the wrong impression and irritating you whispering wolf. this is in all sincerity. i'm not here to make enemies, so i wanted to apologise.

whispering wolf
12-22-2004, 05:43 PM
I thank you punky, and I to apologize. I tend to jump the gun at times. I hope I didnt offend you in any way. I do appreciate your comments and take them whole heartidly, I was just venting I guess about the lack of support at my LFS. Thats why I come to this forum to hear what people like yourself have to say. I value everyones oppinion on this forum. So thanks and I hope know.....ill water :D :dance: is between us.

punkypuffer
12-22-2004, 08:55 PM
:xmas4: :snow: :dance: :clap:

i'm glad everything is ok!:xmas3: