PDA

View Full Version : Undergrave filter needed?

razey
12-18-2004, 08:38 PM
I will be setting up a new 55 gallon tank. right now i have a 30 gal with no undergravel filter and it seems fine. my question is... should i buy an undergravel filter? i have a canister filter i would be able to use that can handle the tank. i have heard many good things and many bad things about UG systems. what do ya'll think?

captclams
12-18-2004, 09:22 PM
I think there are better ways of providing bio-filtration for your tank. Unless you use a reverse flow on your UG system it'll collect debris underneath which will cause more problems than it will solve. I'd go with a large cannister or a medium cannister and a HOB. Good luck on your new tank.

cich1
12-18-2004, 09:32 PM
yeah i'm a big fan of cannister/h.o.b. combo's.i wouldn't bother with the ugf either,just like captclams said get yourself a medium or large h.o.b. to go with the cannister you already have.

jonah
12-18-2004, 10:20 PM
I think UGFs provide more biological filtration than any other type of filter, but for the reason captclams mentioned I don't recommend them without a reverse flow. John Farrel Kuhns (inventor of AmQuel and NovAqua) said the same thing at a presentation I went to a couple of years ago. Fascinating speech, but it makes my head hurt thinking of all the chemistry stuff he talked about.

A couple of emperors would be plenty for your tank. Or even just one if you aren't keeping too many fish in it. They're easier to maintain as well, which means they're less likely to be forgotten for maintenence.