PDA

View Full Version : Equipment for a 75 gallon aquarium

Adam
01-27-2003, 03:40 PM
Curious as to what the most effective equipment in a 75 gallon aquarium that I will be purchasing shortly would be. I know I want an external filter, either eheim or fluval, although 1 or 2 AC 500's wouldn't be out of the question. Let me know, I'll make a list of what I need or want. Oh, and is the lighting that comes with the aquarium sufficient? (1 fluorescent bulb, 48 ") I don't know the wattage, but it is a 75 oceanic.

-200 watt heater
-External Canister Filtration
-New lighting?
-Any powerheads that I might need to better the water flow?
-What kind of substrate?

Really, any comments that you can give me would be great, so I can start to plan out what I want, and get it quickly.

Poet8102
01-28-2003, 06:29 AM
The answers to your questions really depend on what kind of tank your trying to set up. If you can give us an idea of what kind of tank you want I'm sure that the experts, like Rex and Gypsie, will be happy to help you just as much as they have helped me.

Adam
01-28-2003, 11:34 AM
It's a lake malawi habitat. With cichlids, obviously

SGypsyMermaid
01-28-2003, 12:17 PM
thanks for the compliment, poet--but i've got a ways to go yet before i qualify as an expert! :wink: adam, i will vote for 2 ac500's in this instance...that's what i have on my 70 gallon and there's plenty of water movement--no need for a powerhead. are you thinking of a rockpile/african reef type set-up for mbunas? or rocks around the edges with open sandy areas for haps? have you thought of the fish that you want to keep, yet? don't forget about the vics! some of them go nicely with malawians.

Adam
01-28-2003, 07:24 PM
I have thought, and I am thinking of the julies from tanganyika, and the yellow labidochromis, and maybe another species. I am wanting to breed them, and so I would like opinions as to what fish these fish would rank in difficulty in breeding. I have no trouble doing water changes and keeping the ph at the right level, and so really it just depends on the mood of my fish. I'll buy a couple juveniles of each, and let them pair off. At least, thats what I'm hoping I will do. Would 2 AC 500's be better than one fluval 404? It's less expensive, and I already have an AC 300, and so I am happy with it. It's really all that my budget can handle, of course I could charge a fish viewing fee. A quarter powered curtain could make me lots of money :) . Maybe the AC 500's would work best. Do any of you have preferences as how to filter the tank, or what works best for you?

Adam
01-28-2003, 07:27 PM
I would like a reef type set up, would the julies go with the labidochromis at all, or do I have to rethink this. The two AC 500's sound like a good idea, although I wouldn't mind winning the lottery, and making a 90 000 gallon aquarium in my backyard, with new house over it and all :D . But, back to reality, I am not new to fish keeping, but I just want to have my aquarium look the best it can, and the fish to be as happy as possible.

SGypsyMermaid
01-28-2003, 08:18 PM
just as a point of information, julies form pair bonds and are not mouth brooders. yellow labs are mouthbrooders and do not form pair bonds...they should be kept in a harem set-up: one male with multiple females.

Adam
01-28-2003, 08:22 PM
I am still deciding if I want a malawi set up, or a tang set up. As soon as I get the tank, and the filter and whatnot in there, and it has been going for awhile, then I will decide what type I want in there.

Adam
01-28-2003, 08:29 PM
Back to the main thing, although fish suggestions would be very good. What type of sand would be good, I know I want two AC 500s, as they are inexpensive, and work well, and a 200w heater, and lighting, how many bulbs, and what wattage?

mdemers883
01-29-2003, 02:04 PM
I would use an AC500 and an emperor400, that way you get the best of both worlds. The AC500 moving a ton of water and the biological filtration that the emp400 gives you with the bio-wheels, and you can also put filter floss or cell pore cartridges in the emp.

Mark

Adam
01-29-2003, 08:49 PM
THe penguin 400 seems like a good idea. I've never really used them, but the biological filtration sounds like a good idea. Perhaps I will consider it. I have heard wonder stories of bristlenose plecos for algae, eating all the green algae in the tank, at least all of it that the cichlids aren't guarding.