PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the tank

Adam
01-27-2003, 03:08 PM
Would I take out all the rocks and scrub them each time I do a water change? Right now, I just syphon around the rocks, and leave them there. They have some algae on them, and the question is, do I take them all out to clean them when I do a water change, or should I leave them? I'm a bit curious as to what I should do.

fOx
01-27-2003, 04:44 PM
Leave um! No joke, the rocks will grow algae no matter what you do. The idea is to minimize that growth and you do that with regular water changes, syphoning, not overfeeding the fish and controlling the amount of light your tank gets.

Trying to keep your rocks algae free is futile, trust me, but there is some stuff you can add to your filter to take the phosphate out of the water and really cut back on algae and any other plant growth (obviously you don't even want to think about this if you have live plants in the tank). Let me know if you want to know more.

good luck, oh and it's nice to hear from someone who is local. ;)

fOx

Adam
01-27-2003, 05:53 PM
Hey, thanks, where in ottawa do you live? I'm in manotick. I have live plants in the aquarium, its a community tank, and I'm looking to get a 75g lake malawi habitat. Well need to go study for exams right now. Bye, and I try to keep the algae off by regular maintenance, i don't want to put any chemicals into the water

SGypsyMermaid
01-28-2003, 11:13 AM
and i actually like the look of algae-covered rocks... :confused:

matt1066
01-28-2003, 02:44 PM
In my initial set-up I used to clean the rocks at H2o change time, only because it was the nasty brown stuff, but once my tank matured and I got a good hold of H2o parameters namely Nitrates I have the nice green algae.

If it bothers you , (and I am sure many of you reading this will disagree).

I would purchase a small Pleco or other sucker fish that will make short work of all your green algae. Just be prepared for the Pleco to grow and make sure you can find a home for him when he outgrows your tank, and he will.

In the end it's all up to you, if it,s green algae be happy as long as it stays contolled by grazing fish.

Matt

merlyn2221
01-28-2003, 06:24 PM
I'm with SGypsy.....

Leave the nice algae covered rocks! They look sooooo natural that way! :wink:

Adam
01-28-2003, 07:16 PM
Tha algae used to be brown about a week ago, and now it has turned into green algae, and so the fish are happily grazing on it, which is nice, a vegetable supplement I suppose, and the algae makes the rocks look more natural. I have a question, I'm going to get the 75g, and I want to know which would be better, two 204 fluval canisters, or one 404 canister? Although the 404 pumps out more water than the other two, I'm wondering if the double flow would be better than one, large, single one.

matt1066
01-29-2003, 04:56 PM
Hi Adam,

I would go with the 404, and add a high output hang-on power filter.

I like the Supreme Superking (600 g/h), it has a big electric motor on top but I swear by them. Also in second would be an Aquaclear 500 (@400 g/h).

When I first got involved in the hobby in 1990ish my local fish man turned me onto to the Supreme, just make sure it is the Superking. I love cannisters but they don't have the power to move enough water for a cichlid tank, especially Africans,(messy)

Go mail-order.Email me if you need some #'s. The Supreme's @$47.00

The combo of a 404 and the above IMO would be terrific!

However if the choice was mine between 2 cannisters or 1, gor for 2. that way if one has a problem you have some back-up.

Matt

Matthew

Adam
01-29-2003, 08:55 PM
What about one AC 500, and one penguin 400? I have had someone recommend it to me already, and it seems like a good choice, and plus, the canisters are rather expensive.

Overawed
01-30-2003, 01:08 PM
I leave the algae on my rocks so my Plecos can munch on them. And as SGM says, it is pretty.

Adam
01-30-2003, 02:03 PM
I've heard wonder stories of bristlenose plecos eating all the algae in a tank...is it true, and how big do they get, and are there any others that do a better job if those get too big?

fOx
01-30-2003, 03:02 PM
Adam, I'm going to have to diagree with Matt (again).

I would go for 2 of whatever filters you choose. On my 55 I have 2 204 and two of the fluval in-tank filters. I find that by having more than one point of exit for the water you create more surface aggitation and keep the water better oxygenated.

Also having 2 makes changing the filter a joke. Space the change cycle apart by two weeks (ie: you do filter one and then two later do filter two) this way you never have to worry about sending your tank into shock because there is always beneficial bacteria working for you in one of your filters.

Remeber... overfiltration is better than underfiltration.

good luck...

fOx

Adam
01-30-2003, 03:52 PM
I have found an old relic in my basement. An AC 2000, what is the equivalent of this in our age ACs? It's pretty enormous, and it's also pretty old. I'll take a look, and hopefully make it serviceable to use. Otherwise I'll have to spend more money. I have decided on 2 AC 500's to provide the filtration, and this just means that I have one less filter to buy. Thanks for all the input, unless some of you may disagree with two of these filters, for some odd reason.

matt1066
01-30-2003, 04:41 PM
Hi Adam,

Good choice. 2 AC 500's will turn over the tanks water volume at good levels. My only concern that if the tank is heavily populated you might be sacrificing a little on the biological side, which cannisters excell at. You might consider putting in some bio-filter media in 1 of the AC's as well as the sponge.

In any event you seem to have a good handle on things and are open to the suggestions of others. In the end its up to you and your pocketbook.

IMO-internal filters take up space that could well be used for fish. Never cared for them much. :wink:

Take care and good luck, keep us posted.

Matt

Adam
01-31-2003, 09:09 PM
I bought the aquarium today, and I'm glad I waited, it went on sale the minute I got into the store. Sold! Anyways, I now have it sitting here empty in the basement, with two AC 500's, and 2 150w heaters, and one fluorescent tube, although i may get a triple soon. What type of biological substance would you people recommend I should put in my ACs?

matt1066
02-01-2003, 06:57 PM
Adam,

I like Boi-chem stars, or anything made of sintered glass.

Matt

jonah
02-01-2003, 08:10 PM
I just use an extra sponge in mine. Every couple of weeks I rotate the sponges.

Adam
02-01-2003, 09:30 PM
Sorry to change the thread like this, but the guy at the lfs told me how to cycle a tank in only a couple days. If you have another tank running that is. You take the filter media out of it, and place it into the new filter. Bacteria doubles every 24 hours, and so the bacteria will move from the old media, to the new media, and voila, a couple days, and the tank is all cycled, and then you can return the old filter media to the other tank, any problems with this? Thanks for all the great advice all, its really good and it helped me a lot with the setting up.

Adam
02-08-2003, 06:32 PM
So a little off topic we got there. I got the two AC 500s, and there is a sand substrate, reef type rocks, and 4 julidochromis regani and 3 lamprologus leleupi. And the rocks, I have decided, will be cleaned a bit by the pleco I am about to get. And they are all happy, and that means I am happy.

Adam
02-17-2003, 03:37 PM
Hi Adam,

I like the Supreme Superking (600 g/h), it has a big electric motor on top but I swear by them. Also in second would be an Aquaclear 500 (@400 g/h).

Matthew

Doesn't the AC 500 get it's name from the 500g/h it pumps out? Thats what it says on the box anyways. Oh, I got the tank if you are wondering, two AC 500's one with an extra sponge and no carbon, the other with carbon and a sponge, and two 150 w heaters and sand substrate with a reef type rock setup with roundish rocks. The fish seem to be really happy.

6 n. leleupi
4 j. regani
4 n. brichardi
2 common plecos, one MIA
2 whiptail catfish, the other tank is cycling, and that's where they are going

matt1066
02-17-2003, 03:41 PM
I believe that if you look carefully the rated flow of a AC 500 is 428g/h.

when empty of course.

Matt

Adam
02-17-2003, 03:44 PM
Interesting, that's funny, 500 g/h is something like 1900l/h, but the old AC 2000's are the same as the 500s, but with 2000 l/h. It says on my box 500, but maybe somewhere else. Good observations

matt1066
02-17-2003, 04:07 PM
I think I saw the flow rating in Foster/Smith, that fish place, or petsolutions

Matt