PDA

View Full Version : UnderGravel Filter

BlackCamaroSS99
01-27-2003, 01:55 PM
Ok I've done a search here and couldn't find the particular info I wanted on an undergravel filter...

I know this is a newb ? but how the heck does this thing work? How do you clean in? Do I place it undergravel and use a A/C filter or the such to pull all the debris from up under it?

I want to set up a 92+ gal tank for my africans but I really don't know how to start a tank this size for filtration.

Adam
01-27-2003, 02:34 PM
There are two types of ways to make an undergravel filter work. Powerheads and airstones. The powerhead attaches to the little plastic cylinder, and sucks up. That is what you want, the airstones are terrible. You put the UG under all the gravel, and cover the entire part of the bottom, and then put over it some substrate that won't fall through the little cracks. Of course, there is more than this, ask someone who owns one, I have one, but I have never used it. Going for a different filtration, canister, AC is better I would think, but it is up to you.

BlackCamaroSS99
01-27-2003, 07:36 PM
How much is a canister? How does that work? Doesn't an undergravel filter work the best?

My dad has a diatom or some thing that he has from his old tanks that he told me to keep...unfortunately I have no clue what it does or how to use it....can I use that as a filter/is that a canister filter?? He's away on work for awhile and I don't want to bother him every other day with this fish stuff....

Adam
01-27-2003, 08:41 PM
A canister is basically a canister with the filter media in it, that is outside the tank. There are two hoses, one for picking up water and bringing it to the canister, and the other is bringing the filtered water back to the aquarium. For an aquarium of that size, look for the eheim or the fluvals. It should say how much water it can filter, and what the maximum tank size for it is. A diatom i do not know. Ask your local fish store which canister filter works best for your set up. And have a great time with your fishkeeping. Look on google, and search for diatom.

Adam
01-27-2003, 08:45 PM
Price wise, the ehiem, or eheims, however you spell it are heavy on the pocketbook. The fluvals aren't quite so bad, but some say that they can fail. 100 dollars plus for the ones for your tank would be more or less it.

Poet8102
01-28-2003, 06:26 AM
If I were you I would also add an Aqua-Clear H.O.B. filter just for back up.
You can get your filters pretty cheap if you go to www.bigalsonline.com

matt1066
01-30-2003, 06:26 PM
I have, and am still using a UGF on my 125. I have it set up in reverse flow powerd by Marineland 660's with sponge prefilters never had a problem as long as you vacuum the gravel when you do a water change. 5 yrs still going strong. This pushes the water up through the the filter plate allowing it to push debris into the water column where other filters then remove it.

However I am going to be switching to a sand substrate which I think looks more natural and also lets my Malawi's sand sift which is interesting behavior. You may want to decide what kind of substrate you will be using first and then decide on a UGF. Once in place it can be a ##### to change.

I have a Diatom filter that I swear by, but it is just used for short periods during water changes to polish the water. They clog to quickly to be used as a primary filter. They work by filtering the water through diamotaceous earth. This diatom powder is very fine and filters the water down to 1 micron(very small). Thus the crystal clear water.

Just my opinion.

Hope this helps

Matt

angelhf13
01-30-2003, 09:26 PM
I have a question about airstones with an under gravel filter......I have a 10 gallon set up for my "nursery tank" Ive looked into different kinds of filtration for it and went with the air stone under gravel. I did this because it seemed with a power head I would be shooting my little fry across the tank (too much flow), and with the whisper filters that I use on my larger tanks would suck them up. Is what Im using ok for a 10 gallon nursery? Is it enough filtration? Any suggestions?
Thanx!!

matt1066
01-30-2003, 09:28 PM
Angel,

I think its fine, remember the partial water changes.

Matt

Adam
01-30-2003, 09:29 PM
A very small powerhead would not be a bad idea. It would be much better than the airstones, and the maxi jet 300 (?) would be good for that. Usually the fry stay at the bottom, and so they wouldn't mind the extra flow.

Adam
01-30-2003, 09:32 PM
Ah, well it is enough flow right now, it is up to you whether you want to spend the 20$? to upgrade the filter system. Actually i think its only like 15 dollars.

Adam

JB wind
02-25-2003, 12:29 AM
[quote]
I have a question about airstones with an under gravel filter......I have a 10 gallon set up for my "nursery tank" Ive looked into different kinds of filtration for it and went with the air stone under gravel. I did this because it seemed with a power head I would be shooting my little fry across the tank (too much flow), and with the whisper filters that I use on my larger tanks would suck them up. Is what Im using ok for a 10 gallon nursery? Is it enough filtration? Any suggestions?
Thanx!!

In my breeder tanks (10 gallon) set ups i use penguin bio wheel mini. at the end of the inlet strainer i use a zip tie and I cut and fit a AC powerhead quick filter pad on it. I also use a hatchery dirt magnet sponge. they both work well for me. good luck

[quote]

Ok I've done a search here and couldn't find the particular info I wanted on an undergravel filter...

I know this is a newb ? but how the heck does this thing work? How do you clean in? Do I place it undergravel and use a A/C filter or the such to pull all the debris from up under it?

I want to set up a 92+ gal tank for my africans but I really don't know how to start a tank this size for filtration.

I have a 75 gallon mbuna tank, and it has 2 emperor 400's and a fluval 404. and two aquaclear 402's on a underground filter. I always put underground filters in my larger tanks. peace of mind i guess. if anything africans love swimming in the current from the powerheads. the underground filter will do two things for you. help support the powerhead is one of them and the other is it help keep floating waste and food and what ever else down on the bottom that your main filter sometimes doesn't get right away. and when you suck the gravel out. thats when you will see that it's working.and IMO i think it helps cycle the tank faster. but thats my opinion. good luck!!!
I like using pet solutions for all my fishy needs. www.petsolutions.com
they have saved my hunderds, I will never buy supplies for my LFS again.

matt1066
02-25-2003, 02:28 PM
There are a lot of mail-order houses out there, and petsolutions is one I use as well. I have used others and all did fine by me. Had a little issue when Pet Warehouse went to Drsfoster/smith, but I think they ironed out the kinks. That fish place is great too, also Big Al's has great specials. Got a Diatom XL for $64-thats a deal.

Regarding undergravel, I have always used undergravel filters, but in reverse-flow. I see no logical reason not to. Would love to debate the subject with some UGF officianados. Anyway I digress; I recentley set up a 55g with sand and a bio-wheel set-up. Looks great(sand) and is easily cleaned. detritus is obvious, so it is cleaned more thoroughly. Now the issue is to convert my other tanks, 2 125g's to sand and dump the UGF all together.

I have at the suggection of FOx, removed my carbon and added trace elements. This is a test in progress and one that is well worth doing, just to save the $ on the carbon/resin. I;ll keep you posted.

Regards,

Matt :)