PDA

View Full Version : Attaching rocks

Guard Bum
09-13-2002, 04:08 PM
I've read somewhere that people have been successful glueing/cementing their rocks together for ease of movement and cleaning. This seems very logical and I'm interested in how this was done. What was used to attach the rocks? Any side effects? It sure would make keeping the tank clean a lot easier if I could moves rocks in mass to clean. Any info will be appreciated.

Rudy
09-13-2002, 04:15 PM
You can buy aquarium fast stick at most LFS. It is an epoxy base that apparently even works in water. I have never used it personanlly but it sells pretty good apparently.

SGypsyMermaid
09-13-2002, 04:54 PM
here's the one that i see most often. i bought it, but haven't used it, yet.

http://www.thehiddenreef.com/webpages/productspages/two_little_fishies_aqua_sick_epo.htm

hey, welcome back, guard bum!

chennes
09-13-2002, 06:20 PM
The problem, of course, is that then all the rocks are glued together :). This makes rearranging the "furniture" a bit more difficult.

Chris

SGypsyMermaid
09-13-2002, 06:22 PM
excellent point, chennes.

CichlidPete
09-13-2002, 08:01 PM
I can't imagine gluing the rocks together. It is hard enough to pick up a wet slime coated 25 pound rock from the bottom of a tank as it is.

If you DID want to you could use clear aquarium silicon to attatch them and put the assy in the tank once cured. You could still get the rocks apart later if needed.

Guard Bum
09-14-2002, 06:48 PM
I have probably 50lbs of rocks in my tank. Combination of slates and other rocks. It is spread throughout the tank, but never to high in anyone place. Combination of rocks provides ample hiding spaces spaced on in the tank. My idea is to mount these different sections (probably four groups) on small sheets of 1/2" plexiglass and lift them out in completes sections. They could be removed independantly to reduce stress on the fish, cleaned and returned. I found some apoxy at the LFS and I'm going to pick up the plexiclass this week. I let you know how it works.

jnorris
09-26-2002, 09:49 PM
I thought about doing this, but it is actually a good idea to move the landscape around. esp when you introduce several new fish at once.