PDA

View Full Version : will this cycle work???

fishman
12-15-2004, 10:00 PM
Hello guys, I am getting ready to setup my 55g in a week or two. I am getting the Eco-Complete Cichlid Substrate, and will transfer one of the biowheels over to the 55 from my 29g to get it ready for the addition of fish. Will this be sufficient enough to add the fish right after I install the substrate and filter. Suggestions needed. Thanks

OwassoFish
12-15-2004, 10:18 PM
What other filter will you be running on the 55 besides the biowheel that's currently on the 29? If that's the only filter I think you'll have problems. The eco-complete supposedly has the bacteria built in but if you don't have anything to push the water across or through the substrate like a UGF or some powerheads on sponges, it's not going to act as a very good filter. You should have 10x volume filtration per hour to be good and safe.

fishman
12-16-2004, 05:11 PM
I was just going to use the small penguin biowheel to get the 55g going, because I have an AC500 (110 now), and an Emperor 400 to use after the tank gets going. So I was just planning on using the Eco-Complete and the small biowheel with either of the 2 larger filters, then after I have had the small biowheel on it for a bit I will put the other large filter on. Also, how long exactly should I leave the penguin biowheel on the 55g before putting on the second large filter. Thanks

OwassoFish
12-16-2004, 05:39 PM
I'd put them all on at the same time. You are using the biowheel to "seed" the other new filters. The quicker you put them on the faster the bacteria will colonize on them. But you'll also need something for the bacteria to feed on.

You should do a search of the forums on the fishless cycle. Since you don't have any fish in there now, that would be a good way to get the tank ready for your full load all at once. It would be quicker and you'll probably have fewer losses than a with fish cycle.

I've got some info on my web site about my fishless cycle if you click the website button above.