PDA

View Full Version : New job, must travel

Jaws
12-13-2004, 09:47 AM
I'll be starting a new job soon which requires extensive travel. I'll be gone once for 6-8 weeks straight and then be gone for 2 weeks at a time with only 3 days off.

Will my fish be ok with out a water change for 6-8 weeks and then every two weeks? The tank is a 55g with

2 4" fish
3 1-2" fish
1 gourami
2 full grow cats about 3"

All fish will not remain in tank forever.

What about feeding? Should I give up now or see what happens.

Thanks.

maddyfish
12-13-2004, 10:56 AM
I would think that with light feeding they would propably be okay 6-8 weeks without a water change. But I don't think that they would be okay that long without food. 2 weeks between water changes is propably okay long term. Maybe you could get somebody reliable to feed them during the 6-8 weeks, or a high quality mechanical feeder.

Jaws
12-13-2004, 12:55 PM
I have two filters on the tank. I can have someone feed them but thats it. They won't do water changes. I guess I'll clean the tank the best I can everyday til I leave for the 6-8 week term.

jennigypsy
12-13-2004, 01:30 PM
hmm....are there any aquarium maintainence services around you?

Even if you could have someone come 2 times while you're gone to do a change, then have the other person feed them lightly.

Rudy
12-13-2004, 01:57 PM
I think the majority of the population calls 6-8 weeks a frequent water change.

Maybe get the person feeding to top it up as the evoration will be noticable. I wouldn't worry to much about it as long as the feeding are light. Every other day I would say. You may run into a few problems, but not likely unless the feedings go sideways.

As far as the changes every two weeks on a regular basis. I would just do larger changes. Is this permanent, or just temporary?

punkypuffer
12-13-2004, 04:34 PM
personally, i would just break down the tank and give the fish away. if you are gone for that long of a time how would you be able to enjoy them? you could always start the tank back up whenever you are more permanent... just a thought :/

Glaive
12-13-2004, 05:16 PM
Now I know this goes against the rules but some of you already know I rely on my mother to clean my tank. Which means that it gets a very lame gravel vac every month and occasional top offs.

I have a fluval 304, a fluval 2+, and a aqua clear 402 with quick filter on my 20 gallon long and when I show up to visit my ammonia and nitrites are 0 and my natrates are low. I also have plenty of plants.

My tank is deffinetly over stocked on my julies alone: mom, dad and at latest count 15 visible babies ranging from 1/2 inch to 2 inches. I also have a CAE a tiger botia and a Freyeri. My substrate is medium gravel mixed with crushed coral.

However I am biologically filtering about 260 gph and mechanically filtering about 250 gph<counting only the aqua clear> not counting what good the plants and the lava rocks are contributing.

Personally I am not happy with the arrangement but as of the last year I have had no choice. I have seen significant growth and healthy behavior. My fryeri even still recognizes me despite my lack of being around.

The biggest issue I faced along the way was my fryeri's aggression, not filtration and water quality.

I would also add as an additional reason for my tank working is that while my mother doesn't gravel vac it enough my fish are never happy with the gravel piles they make, so the gravel gets sifted alot.

In my gravel vacing earlier <been a month> I had less waste matter than when I had a ugf @ 60gph and the fluval 2+ and was cleaning 1/2 the gravel weekly along with the 25% water change.

While I agree with the others, sometimes life does not allow us to do as we wish. I think if you were to have enough filtration and a friend who would check up on your tank daily then you should be able to make it work.

Jaws
12-14-2004, 08:00 AM
The 6-8weeks is a one time deal. I may get home once but not 100% sure. The two week deal may change to 10 days but unsure. I just want to prepare for the worst case. Feeding every other day sounds good and I could have them top off the tanks. Maybe I could get rid of a few fish or put some of them in the 29g to to reduce bio load.

I want to keep my fish and I'll enjoy them even more when I get home!

Thanks for all the ideas to!

punkypuffer
12-14-2004, 09:09 AM
ah, ok! i thought this was going to be an all the time thing, being gone for 6-8 weeks or so. but if its just once, then i'd say get a friend to feed them every few days and you should be ok. there are so many fish keepers in this hobby that never to water changes at all :/

DR.J
12-14-2004, 03:28 PM
if your tank is well filtered you shouldnt have to change water.unless your doing it to increase there growth. so i dont see a problem. as far as feeding your fish goes ...................my tummy is growling.

Rudy
12-14-2004, 03:36 PM
if your tank is well filtered you shouldnt have to change water.unless your doing it to increase there growth.

What??? This is not true. It also prevents sickness, disease and generally keeps your fish in a healthy environment so they can grow.

Jaws
12-14-2004, 09:34 PM
What is the lowest temp that I could keep the tank?

I figure if its on the cooler side the fish won't eat as much and won't polute the water that fast.

I almost was at the point of bringing them all back and just keeping my male convict in the 29g.

Would 74 degrees be too cold?

fish speaker
12-15-2004, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Glaive
...some of you already know I rely on my mother to clean my tank...mom, dad and at latest count 15 visible babies ranging from 1/2 inch to 2 inches.

WOW! Your mother should get some sort of award, cleaning your tank AND taking care of 15 babies! :D

Glaive
12-15-2004, 11:29 AM
I probably wouldn't leave the tank anylower than 76 or so and even then a degree every day to get there, but that's just me.

Fish speaker honestly I am greatful for what my mother and her husband do, they house my fish feed them and just keep a general eye on them. I just wish that I was here every week at least to clean em up some more... As for the babies they just happen juli babies are probably the easiest fry to raise. No need for special food just keep feeding teh norm the male chews it up and spits it into the cave for the fry, by the time they kicked out they seem to be able to eat flakes just fine.

DR.J
12-15-2004, 02:35 PM
yea that what i was trying to say rudy. just couldnt spit it out the right way. oops.

fish speaker
12-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Glaive,
I know what you're talking about. I ended up stuck in the hospital (unexpectedly) a couple of years ago, and my mother took care of my daughter and cats for a week while I was there, and for a couple more once I was home. If the same thing happened today, I'm sure she would try to take care of the fish, too. (Now, I'm sure that she would not do as good a job as I do, but she would keep things going until I could get back on my feet). It's really something that I'm thankful for, too (OK...I'm starting to sound like a cheesy Christmas card, so I'll stop). :D