PDA

View Full Version : new to the hobby

vas2677
01-26-2003, 08:27 AM
i just purchased my first aquarium setup i believe its a 39gal or 45. The question is i know that african cichlids can be very territorial, which im trying to make as minimal as possible. I would like to have calm and colorfull breeds of cichlids, if any one has any suggestion i would appreciate it. thanks

chris

merlyn2221
01-26-2003, 01:24 PM
If you are doing Lake Malawi Cichlids you might want to try some Yellow Labs (as they are sold in stores). Their real names are Labidochromis caeruleus. They are fairly easy to find and are very calm. Some Peacocks might also work. The only concern with this is the size of your tank and the type of filtration you will be using. All cichlids require the cleanest water possible. Most cichlid keepers run two filters, of different types, on their tanks.
If you want bottom feeders to clean up after your cichlids, try some Synodontis catfishes. I have three in my 55 gal. and they eat everthing my guys miss.

Don't forget that Rift Lake Cichlids require a certain amount of salt to simulate their natural environment. I also add trace elements to my tank, but right now there is a heated discussion on this very topic going on in another area of the forum. Everybody does things differently.

Good luck! :)

Frontosa29
01-26-2003, 03:06 PM
yellow labs will work well...i think that the peacock flock will get too large for your size of aquarium but they are very calm.... :? the malawi blue dolphin Cyrtocara moorii which also grow to large proportions are also very calm...males reach 8 in. and females up to 7 :jaw: ...good luck

matt1066
01-28-2003, 02:53 PM
I agree with all of the previous responses.

Please do yourself and your future fish friends a favor and purchase a good book on Cichlids. Understand what you will need in order to have a sucessful tank.

Take your time and do it right, your at the right spot so ask your questions and dont think that any of your questions are stupid this is how we all learn, and continue to.

By the way, how does one do spell check at this sight?

Matt :lol:

vas2677
01-28-2003, 05:19 PM
thanks everyone for the advise, ive picked up alot of good information from this site

thanks again,
chris

merlyn2221
01-28-2003, 06:21 PM
Matt:
You can't spell check on the site, but if you are really concerned about checking out the spelling/grammar of your posts you can do this:
1) Write your post on the site and then click on preview button under the post, 2) Highlight the text and copy it, then cut and paste it on Word or whatever word processing program you use and spell check there.
Neurotic as I am, this is what I do. :lol:

And Chris (Vas)...do what Matt said, get a good book. I mainly rely on two out of my library of cichlid books: African Cichlids of Lakes Malawi and Tanganyika by Dr. Herbert Axelrod and Dr. Warren E. Burgess and Tetra's Popular Guide to Tropical Cichlids David Sands.
The Tetra's is pretty good in showing basic information and setups of tanks, as well as having compatability chart for different cichlids.

Good luck!

Frontosa29
01-28-2003, 11:53 PM
yes books......books rock...also the internet is a veritable cornocopia of information just be careful a lot of different ppl use a lot of different names for cichlids....