PDA

View Full Version : Tank Friends for Oscars

dahl
01-25-2003, 11:33 PM
Hi. I'm going to be starting up a 190 gal. 78"x30"x19 tall. I want to put oscars in it and I'm wonderign what other tankmates I might put in the tank with them.
I was thinking maybe oscars green terrors blue acaras or dempseys in the tank. I'm planning on loading it up with driftwood and caves to provide plenty of hiding and escape. What do you think about some good fish cobinations?

thanks
chris

Rudy
01-26-2003, 12:21 AM
I think you nailed it. GT, jacks, firemouths, acaras, maybe some geophagus whatever you want maybe go for a Geophagus brasiliensis. They are great.

Good luck with your tank.

dahl
01-26-2003, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the help. Do you think silica sand would be a suitable substrate for this tank?

Rudy
01-27-2003, 10:09 AM
If you don't mind cleaning out the filter a little more often as the larger fish will stir it up into your filter.

I use sand on all my tanks now. It is just way easier to clean.

I mix it in with a couple scoops of white rocks as this seems to keep the sand a bit more in tact for some reason

nyrjr913
01-29-2003, 04:23 PM
i have two oscars one red tiger and one red oscar. yes you can get some tankmates for the oscars. dont worry about the oscars attacking the fish because most likely they wont. my oscars only go after things smaller than them such as gold fish or guppies,how ever two kinds of fish i avise u not to get as tank mates are the jaguar and buttokofer.

dahl
01-29-2003, 08:09 PM
do you have experience wiht jaguars and oscars? Tell me more about that? Because I was really interested in the Jaguar adn was considering putting one in with the oscars. Thanks
chris

Rex Karr
01-29-2003, 10:36 PM
A female Jaguar may work out for you. You tank is certainly on the large side. You may even be able to keep a male considering your aquarium is 6.5' long and 2.5' wide and many adult Jaguars aren't real aggressive unless provoked.

Rex

nyrjr913
01-30-2003, 11:57 AM
rex is right about them not being an aggressive fish as an adult as they are smaller, however my friend has two of them and ive seen this in a petstore one adult jag made the 55gl cloudy.the filters were i think two aqua clear 500s . all im saying is if you do get a jag in the 190 gl make sure the filters can handle the mess becus they can get pretty dirty.