PDA

View Full Version : Skipping new tank cycling

fish speaker
12-08-2004, 08:09 AM
I have a question about my plans to set up my newly-aquired 75-gallon tank. The 75 has a diy trickle filter. I had been planning to just do a fishless cycle, but the sudden need to buy fish has me considering another plan. My 90-gallon tank has 2 Emperor 400 filters, plus a Magnum 350. If I take one of the Emperors off of the 90, and put it on the 75, I should be able to immediately stock the 75...I'll have excess capacity, and the trickle filter will eventually grow another bacteria colony to handle the bioload as the fish grow. My real concern is for the 90: if I replace the cultured Emperor with a new one, and leave one cultured one in place, will I be leaving enough bio-filtration in place? I don't want to stress the fish that are in there, especially since I have a pair of Honduran Red Points that are likely to spawn at any time. The bio-load of the fish in the 90 isn't huge: 1 big-a$$ pleco, 6 Hondurans (juvies), 10 thorichthys aureus (juvies) and a few mollies.

Am I right in thinking that this is a good plan, or should I leave the 90 alone to make sure I don't stress those fish?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

David :xmas1:

chc
12-08-2004, 08:21 AM
No hard and fast answers, but keep these points in mind:

- The total bacterial colony of the mature tank will be divided among its filters.
- Placing one of those filters on a new tank will reduce the biological activity by whatever proportion corresponds to that filter's biological volume.
- The old tank will likely be O.K. soon as it will simply colonize the remaining filters more heavily (assuming their biological capacity is big enough to support the tank's population).
- The new tank will either be very quickly "cycled" or will experience a "mini-cycle" depending on how many new fish you put in there and how their waste load corresponds to the available biological capacity in the transferred filter.

Really, the only way to be sure of what's happening is to test the waters for ammonia or nitrite spikes. I would expect, given your population, you will have a mini-spike but nothing serious.

saberry
12-10-2004, 09:59 PM
You might buy another emperor and use one of the existing wheels on your 400 to help start the cycle. I wouldn't go with a full load though - maybe 4-5 fish for the first couple of weeks. OR you could by some bio-spira and have an instant cycle.

chc
12-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by saberry
You might buy another emperor and use one of the existing wheels on your 400 to help start the cycle. I wouldn't go with a full load though - maybe 4-5 fish for the first couple of weeks. OR you could by some bio-spira and have an instant cycle.

That's some good advie there!

fish speaker
12-11-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by saberry

I like that idea! That way, I'd only be taking 25% of the biofiltration from my 90, instead of 50%.

re: Bio-Spira, shouldn't an "instant" cycle mean that it will immediately handle ammonia? I dosed this tank with Bio-Spira, and while it may have accelerated things, it certainly couldn't handle ammonia immediately...same spike of ammonia, followed by nitrite, that I expect to see in cycling a tank.

saberry
12-12-2004, 10:21 AM
Did you use the refrigerated kind or off the shelf? The refrigerated is the only kind I trust to have adequate live bacteria. Also, did you use the size appropriate for your tank?

fish speaker
12-12-2004, 12:41 PM
I used the refrigerated packs, in the amount recommended for 90 gallons.

saberry
12-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Hmm, I had a good cycle with my 55 using the same. The only other thing might be if it wasn't kept cold during transport.

fish speaker
12-12-2004, 07:37 PM
Well, I'm not going to lose any sleep (or fish) over it. I'll just wait until I'm sure the tank is ready.