PDA

View Full Version : pH balancer question

JohnJ12399
12-07-2004, 01:12 PM
I have just bought a product called proper pH8.2 by aquarium pharmaceuticals. I want to use this ,as it claims to maintain my ph at 8.2 instead of me fighting ph rebound every other day. It says to only use if an african cichlid salt mix is used in the tank to assure proper ph.
Now, i have Aquarium salt (not marine salt) that i have used in my tanks, but does that qualify as the "salt mix?" If so, how much are we talkin about putting in my tank?

Is this salt or marine salt what i am looking for?

Does this product sound like a good idea or is there a better way to easily maintain my ph at around 8.2 (its 8.1 now)?

Glaive
12-07-2004, 01:36 PM
The aquarium salt should be the right stuff so long as it isn't table salt but a salt buffer mix. Though if I were you I'd just put in some crushed coral somewhere in your system, should be able to increase and hold the pH around 8.4 pretty easily..

One question which lake are your africans from?

In my own tank it holds a steady 8.4 with 2 pounds or so of crushed coral mixed in the substrate... I have tangs malawi and others in a 20 gallon long. All are amazingly healthy even though tangs generally like a higher pH.

punkypuffer
12-07-2004, 03:28 PM
IME proper pH 8.2 (and 7.0 for that matter) don't maintain the pH at the level they say it will for much longer than a couple of days or so. it seems to be more of a temporary fix, despite what they claim the product does

JohnJ12399
12-07-2004, 03:55 PM
Well, no fish in my tank right now, got to wait til tomorrow morning :nervous: (looks like they will be malawi) So, from the sounds of it, crushed coral sounds like a good way to go. I have a 30g tank, with sand (play sand). will the crushed coral still mix in with that?

Looks like that product suckered me in :oops: but i'm only out 2 bucks, oh well. i dont think i will bother trying it, i'm just gonna look for coral now :lol:

Glaive
12-07-2004, 05:04 PM
I just threw the crushed coral in with my gravel, not sure if it would get enough contact with the water in sand.

I know some peeps here put it in the end of a well rinsed nylon, bag style. Some do this in the filter< canisters>, others do it straight in the tank. You may be able dose the tank with the pH stuff you bought and add teh crushed coral to keep it there, deffinetly more cost effective and natural. I would do this before adding fish if you can.

Ps just to cover heart break, make sure the tank is cycled as well. If it has been a bit with out fish you may experience a mini cycle when you add your new guys. The crushed coral should eliminate the pH shifting side of a mini cycle but the ammonia and nitrite spike are a different story.

z rock
12-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Do you know what PH your water is out the tap? How do you know it's not already "proper" before you have added anything?

If you don't own a PH test kit much less a KH kit, how do you know what your KH will be? KH is what will determine what your PH will be. What really blows my mind is how anybody could get on here giving advice on what to do about someone's KH and Ph and THEY don't know what your water parameters are and never did bother to ASK.

Aquarium salt is sodium chloride and will do NOTHING to eiter PH or KH and does not belong in a freshwater tank.

JohnJ12399
12-07-2004, 07:16 PM
k, wow, we dont need the hostility here. I already decided to not use the product, and I do know what my pH is already (as i stated earlier). I just want to know a better way to maintain that level instead of fighting it going back down. I want it up around 8.2-8.5 and its at 8.1 now.

By the way, the people that you (z rock) are ripping on, gave more advice that i could use than your post.

z rock
12-07-2004, 07:59 PM
Maintain KH 200-300ppm with baking soda. PH will stay at 8.1-8.3 if the KH drops below 100ppm your PH will drop. It won't matter how much rock or coral you got in there.

Actually there is nothing wrong with the product. But if you don't put enough of it in there to maintain over 100ppm your PH will drop. Then your PH will fluctuate.

Acids from fish waste and your bioligical filtration consume carbonate. Baking soda is Bi-carbonate. And cheap.

You said your PH was 8.1 was that before or after adding the buffer?

z rock
12-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Rocks and coral will not dissolve fast enough to keep up with the buffering the biological filtration and fish waste will consume. If your city water is already 8.1 then you can maintain 8.1 doing water changes and little else. IMO I don't like the way coral looks mixed in with my sand.

SGypsyMermaid
12-12-2004, 06:26 PM
http://cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7844

SGypsyMermaid
12-12-2004, 11:22 PM
http://cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8040