PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected fry!! Help!

angelhf13
01-25-2003, 02:02 PM
First...a little history : I have a pair of P. saulosi. The female was holding eggs about a month ago for a week or so, then I think she must have swolled them (First time holding). About 6 or 7 days ago I noticed the male doing his little "mating Dance" and the female sharing his cave, 2 days later the female had eggs again. Today I came home and noticed 3 little fry hiding in the top corner of my tank!!! They are about a quarter inch long, and mostly clear with a tiny bit of black on thier sides, so I know they are brand new. Is it possible she was still holding a few from a month ago, and released them to immediately hold more eggs?
Also, I just set my 10 gal up a week ago for her and the fry thinking I wouldnt have to move her until the end of next week. Im sure the water hasnt been through a complete cycle yet. The temp is exactly the same as the other tank, but the ph is slightly higher still....Main tank at about 8.0, 10 gallon 8.5. I put some rocks and about a gallon of water in it from the main tank to help it along. It isnt safe to move them is it? I have them in a baby net in the main tank. Should I keep them there, or chance moving them?

Boilermaker
01-25-2003, 03:28 PM
I would just keep them in the net for now, just keep an eye on the adults where they won't attack the fry through the net.
My dominant female lab. hongi does this very well, a couple of months ago she was killing em as fast as I was stripping the other females.

angelhf13
01-25-2003, 06:00 PM
Thanx Boilermaker. The adults are a little curious of the net, but so far aren't attacking it! Im still stumped as to how I suddenly have these 3 fry! Im just glad I have them and I saw them before they got eaten!