PDA

View Full Version : 55 Gallon with Turq Sevs - suggestions

goldretrvr
12-04-2004, 01:50 PM
I have a 55 Gal tank that has two mature Turq Sevs, (one is about 5" - the other about 6"). They are great fish - not very aggressive, unless there are eggs in the tank (multiple instances of egg production over past few months, but never seem to be fertilized).

Anyway - the other fish in the tank are the same age as the sevs:
- 3 Tiger Barbs (left from a school of about 8)
- 2 giant Danios (correct name? - have a blue and silver color ) remain from about 6 when originally intro'd to tank.
- 6-7" pleco (is he getting too big for this tank?)

I want to keep the 2 Sevs, but am interested in getting rid of the Tiger Barbs.. I also dont mind the Danios - they are interesting, active fish..

I am looking for suggestions/thoughts on:
1. Some bottom feeders (cat suggestions)
2. Colorful replacements for Barbs
3. Adding a few Angel Fish to tank
4. ways to keep water evaporation down
5. Filter question:
I added a Rena Filstar XP1 to tank, originally serviced by only a Penguin hob 400.. I am thinking now of pulling off the hob and adding a 2nd XP1 to the tank.. the penguin is older and very noisy - XP1 has done a nice job so far.

Lots of questions and requests for your comments and ideas.. but after reading the boards for some time to learn more, I thought it was time to post.. I appreaciate any responses..

Thanks!

goldretrvr

crazyfishlady
12-05-2004, 01:35 AM
1 & 2 - If you want bottom feeders & something active & colorful you may want to look at loaches. Clown loaches can get quite large, but grow very slowly. They are colorful & active.
3 - Angels are too slow. They also get quite large & I don't think I would actually consider your sevs fully grown at 5 - 6". They can grow up to 10". Severums are too aggressive to be good tankmates for angels, especially if they are spawning (and it sounds like yours are).
4 - A lid with as few gaps as possible.
5 - I'm not an equipment geek so I'll let someone else help you out there :).
I love severums, so I hope that helps.

cich1
12-05-2004, 01:30 PM
2 xp1's would be okay,but i prefer to use a canister and a power filter on my tanks.for a 55 i would say the xp1 and either ac500 or emperor 400 would be plenty filtration for that tank:ok:

punkypuffer
12-05-2004, 11:12 PM
sevs get bigger than 5-6" also... they get more like 8ish, and i've seen even bigger than that... you should also take that into consideration. HTH

Ding
12-06-2004, 02:48 AM
yo-yo loaches are fun

maddyfish
12-10-2004, 09:57 PM
My severums got much more aggressive when they reached 7" or so. I think they would kill angels.

jennigypsy
12-10-2004, 10:12 PM
i agree...mine killed a beautiful angel I had...
I have my sev in with a chocolate cichlid...it's working now..but as they both grow (both at about 7" now) i'm not sure my 55 will be big enough...

..maybe some cons?

cich1
12-16-2004, 07:33 PM
i've also noticed aggression in my severums(gold and turqoise)mostly among eachother.

JesseGoslee
01-15-2005, 08:37 AM
Clown loaches are a great choice. I have them in all my tanks and non of my african or ca/sa cichlids bother them.