PDA

View Full Version : Jack Dempsey Tank

vniem618
12-03-2004, 08:50 PM
First off, i'm a new member so hi.

For Christmas i'm getting a 75 gallon tank in which I want to put Jack Dempseys in. I have done a lot of research on them, but of all the research i've done, I haven't yet found out what kind of substrate I should use, so I figured that I could turn to someone with experience on the subject.

Also, what kind of filter do you guys recomment for JD's? I like the bio-wheel I have for my aquarium right now, so I was thinking the emporer from marineland.

And last but not least, I wanted to know how many JD's would go together in a 75 gallon tank.

cich1
12-06-2004, 11:02 AM
welcome,vniem:) for substrate you can use sand or gravel it doesn't matter.on my 75 i have a cannister and 2 power filters.for power filters i would go with either an emperor 400 or an ac500 or both if you want they are both good filters.as far as stocking i would go with a pair(male and female)of jd's, some silver dollars,a pleco of some kind,and maybe a firemouth or single convict.

vniem618
12-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Thank you.

But I have a question. Everyone's recommending silver dollars to put into the tank, but I want to know what else (if any others) would go into the tank, just to open up the possibilities. Are there any other fish that I can put into the tank?

jennigypsy
12-06-2004, 03:21 PM
you could try some LARGE tiger barbs...but as the jd's get big, the barbs may become snacks.
...though they get large, you might try some tinfoil barbs..
(maybe I'm way off in recommending them..I'll let the others recommend more fish to you)

vniem618
12-06-2004, 04:54 PM
I was on a site (www.petfishtalk.com I think) and the guy on the show said that sometimes a columbian shark will go good with dempseys, as the do get big. Is that ok?

jennigypsy
12-06-2004, 05:54 PM
...why is there 2 of the same thread???
MOD:...any chance of merging the 2?

Welcome to the forums Vince ...
{please don't start dup threads..I promise you'll get an answer without doing so :) }

punkypuffer
12-07-2004, 12:31 AM
columbian sharks are brackish to salt water fish as they mature.. and they get HUGE... so no.. dont put them in there

vniem618
12-08-2004, 03:20 PM
yea. sorry guys. I did it to get aquascaping advise on one and fish advice on the other. I ended up doing the same one. Sorry