PDA

View Full Version : Looking to do less water changes.

cardak
12-02-2004, 11:59 PM
Hi guys my questions are, does anyone use a denitrator and if you do, is it effective and worth while to use?

jennigypsy
12-03-2004, 12:39 AM
...never known someone to use one...
What do they do? de-nitrify??...

(IMO...no matter what technology is avail, I still think good 'ole 'water changes' are the best way to go...mother nature knows how to do it! (in nature, heavy rains)

Matt V
12-03-2004, 01:02 AM
sounds like some sort of sci-fi device...

i'll stick to my wednesday changes... move water, watch law and order.

anyone care to comment on a "denitrator"?

jennigypsy
12-03-2004, 01:04 AM
detinator.....

tom
12-03-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by cardak
Hi guys my questions are, does anyone use a denitrator and if you do, is it effective and worth while to use?

Hi cardak

IMHO, a denitrator wouldn't be worth its while (or cost) in a fresh water aquarium: Nitrates are not nearly as toxic to our fw friends as they are to marine fishes. A nitrate level of, say, 30 ppm isn't a problem in a cichlid tank whereas it can be deadly in a sw setup.

I agree with Matt and JG: I'd stick with water changes since nitrate removal isn't the only reason for them.

cardak
12-03-2004, 10:51 AM
ok Thanks guys

chc
12-05-2004, 12:46 AM
The effectiveness of denitrators is still being debated. For fresh water, stick with the water changes........ much easier and more dependable.

z rock
12-06-2004, 04:16 PM
De-nitrators grow a bacteria that live in a anaerobic, (oxygen free) environment. The water must flow very slowly through such a device. Practically one drip every few seconds or so. These anaerobic bacteria complete the nitrogen cycle and convert the nitrate back into nitrogen gas which will be expelled back into the atmosphere.

If the slightest thing goes off on one of these things it kills the bacteria that reside in it and produce's a toxic gas, (methane or something) and will poison your fish.

They are more for salt reef tanks. The corals and such are very sensitive to nitrate or more so the nitrate produces algae that smother the corals.

chc
12-06-2004, 07:12 PM
You mean hydrogen sulfide and other similar gasses.

You are right about them being touchy. Definitely harder to deal with than a water change!

Cichlid_Fan
12-06-2004, 07:19 PM
Nothing beats water changes...

z rock
12-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Hydrogen sulfide gas is what stinks when driving by an oil field. It will kill humans when it settles in a low spot in sufficient quantities. Of course methane don't smell to good either. Yea, I'd stick with the water changes.