PDA

View Full Version : Weird algea!!!

tdubrow
12-02-2004, 10:28 AM
I just started a new 120 gallon and am having what I think is an algea problem. I am running 2 Rena Filstar XP3's with a few powerheads also for water movement. I have caribsea Ivory coast sand, lace rock for caves and am using a styrofoam background. I have not yet started the fishless cycle because I have had brown algea problems in the past and wanted to try and figure out what was causing it. So it been about a few weeks and now I started getting the brown algea on rocks/gravel/background and also have something which looks like hair algea on the rocks and background but its brownish. It is very hairy and actually detaches from the rocks and background and I have it floating in the water also. (Looks like little hairs with like air bubbles on it. I have done everything to try and get rid od the brown algea (silicate removers, phosphate removers, light changing etc.) nothing works. I guess it is the well water, whoi knows. Could the algea problem be caused by the background or something? (styrofoam?) Need some thoughts on the subject please. Oh! and the PH and temperature are stable and like I said there are no fish and I have not yet cycled the tank so im open to anything right now. Thanks in advance!

MNCichlid
12-08-2004, 09:48 AM
I had the same stuff in my 75 at one time. It started around 3-4 months after the startup. It eventually went away. (a month or so)

If it is the same as mine, I wouldn't worry about it

fish speaker
12-08-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by tdubrow
...Looks like little hairs with like air bubbles on it....

I had a similar problem, until I realized that my cats were lounging on top of the glass top...which has stopped now that I've put the light strip up there. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, I'm using a styrofoam background in my new 180, and I'm sure your problem has nothing to do with that. I am getting a nice growth of algae at last, but mine's green, and is a sign that I'm finally getting some nitrates from my cycle. Like the advice you've already received, when I've seen the brown stuff before, it has gone away after a few weeks.

Good luck!

punkypuffer
12-08-2004, 03:59 PM
i would bet you that the reason it has bubbles on it is because it is photisynthesizing and they are the by product, oxygen

barramundi
12-08-2004, 06:38 PM
"Brown Algae" in new tanks I believe is actually diatoms & is very common & a sign of a new tank. My bristlenose catfish control it easily in my new tanks & then after 3-6 months it goes away & is replaced by the green algae. Just keep stirring the sand up to prevent problems during the cycle, then you can include a few algae "controllers" as you stock the tank. I actually put a couple of juvie bristlenose in as part of my tanks cycle (usually in the 3rd week for a brand new tank & no-fish cycle). That's in tanks 30g+. (I breed my own bristlenose so they're free, but I've never lost one & they grow real quick & I sell them off once the tanks established.)
HTH

Chewy
12-08-2004, 06:44 PM
yep, had the problem with well water. Solved with an algae eater. I use the chinese algae eater, but to each his own. Went away after tank cylced with real fish and the suck started going ape on the stuff.

Superman
12-08-2004, 06:45 PM
I am also experiencing brown Algae. I had it in my 29 about a month ago, but it's gone now. I still get it in my 55, but that's only been set up since about August or September. Any ideas when it starts to clear up?

chc
12-08-2004, 07:51 PM
In a healthy tank it should go away or convert to green in a few months. No worries...