PDA

View Full Version : Water Changes/ Vacuum Gravel

dwild
11-29-2004, 07:33 PM
Hello, Looking for other opinions on this subject. I currently maintain 10 tanks housing African Cichlids. My friend and myself are in a bit of disagreement on this subject. The question is how often should the gravel be vacuumed verses just a water change? And What would be to much vacuuming? For a Tank with a moderate bio load and doing about 25% on a weekly basis.

Thanks

punkypuffer
11-29-2004, 11:29 PM
i vacuum every other time i do water changes, which is once a week, depending on which tank it is and how many fish are in it

Joebo1717
11-29-2004, 11:55 PM
I vacuum once every month depending on the tank. In tanks that I heavily feed with flake food and in the breeder i vacuum more often. The breeder gets vacuumed with every water change and the flake food or heavily fed tanks about once every three weeks. In tanks that i don't feed that often I vacuum maybe every month and a half.

Joebo1717
11-29-2004, 11:59 PM
I am also currently working on installing a system that cuts down vacuuming to once every couple months. It uses powerheads and pvc to create heavy waterflow throughout the bottom of the tank so the sediment gets picked up by the filter.