PDA

View Full Version : Baby Dempseys

Jack Dempsey26
11-29-2004, 04:06 PM
My pair of Jack Dempseys just hatched a litter of little ones for the 7th time and I haven't had much help in the past but I could use some advice. I got the pair in a 55 gallon with a moonlight gourami and a pair of cons. Last time they spawned I think the gourami ate the fry but only about four survived to about an inch. Anyway I can't get rid of the Gourami even though I would like to so I have a divider in the tank with the gourami having the very small side of the divider. I want to move the fry to a seperate 20 gallon long I have setup as a hospital tank, but I would like to know how long sould i wwait before moving them and what would be the best way to get it done without hurting the little guys? Should I put the mother in with them as well. The male JD is 6 inches and the mother is about 5. Beautiful coloration and I will get pics as soon as I get a new Camera. Do you think the cons would eat the fry if you happened to get rid of the Gourami?
They are about 2 inches long.

punkypuffer
11-29-2004, 11:36 PM
i usually take the fry out once their yolk sack is gone. i also put the female in there for a while until the fry are eating well without much of her help.

to move them, i don't net them. i actually get a small bucket and a 1/2" tube and siphon them out. i've heard this is a really good way to get them all

cich1
11-30-2004, 12:37 AM
what punky posted sounds good to me,that's what i would do.:)

Jack Dempsey26
12-01-2004, 01:51 PM
thanks for the advice guys. I'm gonna try a few things and see what happens.