PDA

View Full Version : BlackLIght and Cichlids

Joebo1717
11-29-2004, 11:03 AM
Does anyone know of any problems assoicated with using a blacklight over a cichlid tank?

cichgirl
11-29-2004, 11:52 AM
We swap ours out for blacklights only during halloween & it looks really cool. My fish don't seem to mind at all, in fact the shyer ones come out with the blacklight on. As to any adverse affects, I don't know.

skiitswitch
11-29-2004, 12:09 PM
I heard a rumor one time that the fish can't see the blacklight and act like it is nighttime... not sure if its true though... never heard of any ill effects

Joebo1717
11-30-2004, 12:14 AM
They seem slightly more active then in dark under black light. I like my 50/50 better but i just wanted to see what they were doing at night. Probably wont go with perm blacklight ever

punkypuffer
11-30-2004, 10:56 AM
i heard that fish can't see red light. like in the aquarium when you see an octopus, the light will be red and you'll barely be able to see him. the little sign above the tank said that they use the red because the octo thinks he is in complete darkness

skiitswitch
11-30-2004, 12:05 PM
Yeah - I've seen that too Punky... never even thought of it. Right now I sometimes use my LED headlamp to see where they hide but it would be cool to use a red light for a night or something...

cichgirl
11-30-2004, 02:27 PM
My kenyi likes to chase the red dot from my husband's laser pointer (one of his & my husband's favorite games) while I have other fish that are petrified of it. That's a really bright red point of light, but I wonder if it only looks like a brighter spot to them.... hmmmm.

Sorry, red light comments made me think of the "death to the unkillable dot" game... :)

Chewy
12-01-2004, 04:58 PM
I have been experimenting with the blacklight dual effect for a couple of months. The color from the tank (fish, stuff in the tank) is much more real with a blacklight and a regular light. I also am trying blacklight at night for the fronts, and they seem to respond a little better to it. They certainly don't hide near as mush as they used to. Try both at once you may like the effect as I have.