PDA

View Full Version : female Mbuna holding....male being VERY overbearing

angelhf13
01-22-2003, 08:54 PM
I have a pair of Mbunas (Pseudotropheus Saulosi).....my female just began holding eggs last night. This is the second time...the first was her first time holding and I think she swallowed them. This time she really has a mouthful and I dont want to lose them, but the male is being VERY overbearing...he will not leave her alone for a second. He constantly chases her around the tank. Im worried the stress may cause her to swollow the eggs. I have a 10 gallon set up for her later, but Im afraid to move her now. There are 4 other cichlids in the tank (29 gallon).....2 peacocks one male and one female (not sure what kind) and 2 cobalt blues..both male. They are all fairly aggressive, but the male P. saulosi is the "King". Im not sure what to do! Move the male? Take a chance in mover her now? Or just leave it as is? Thanx for any suggestions anyone may have!
Angel

fOx
01-23-2003, 08:56 AM
You should move her. Or if you are worried about that being a problem, buy one of those $10 tank dividers and segregate a little corner of the tank for her where she can rest and not be bothered by the rest of the fish.

If you put in one of those dividers you will still have to move her at some point, so why not just get it over with now?

It's up to you... the male may screw up your chances of having some new additions to your tank...

good luck.

fOx

angelhf13
01-23-2003, 02:21 PM
thanx for your input fOx! I think I may just take my chances and move her. I also have a yellow lab in another tank thats been holding for a week and a half. Only one 10 gallon set up.....could I move both females to the 10 gal. tank, or will this create a problem? I dont know which fry I want the most...the labs or the P. Saulosi!! I will probably end up trying to sell/ give most of them to the LPS, because of the lack of space I have right now. Which do you think they would be more interested in? Anyway, Im so excited about all this because Im so new to cichlids....there's soooo much to learn about these little guys!!! Im becoming somewhat of a hermit lately just sitting and watching them! Thanx again!
angel

SGypsyMermaid
01-24-2003, 09:28 AM
thanx for your input fOx! I think I may just take my chances and move her. I also have a yellow lab in another tank thats been holding for a week and a half. Only one 10 gallon set up.....could I move both females to the 10 gal. tank, or will this create a problem? I dont know which fry I want the most...the labs or the P. Saulosi!! I will probably end up trying to sell/ give most of them to the LPS, because of the lack of space I have right now. Which do you think they would be more interested in? Anyway, Im so excited about all this because Im so new to cichlids....there's soooo much to learn about these little guys!!! Im becoming somewhat of a hermit lately just sitting and watching them! Thanx again!
angel

ask the lps which fry they would be most interested in and at what size they would purchase them. if you are putting both holding females in the 10 gallon with a divider separating them, you have no problem. they won't relax if they're not separated. floating plant cover and a cave would help to calm them.